Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Ped office botched up

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 6:39 pm
I'm very angry. My child went for a well visit and I was told that he was due for shots. That didn't make sense. So I asked what it was for. They said it's because when he was 4 years old (now he's 9) he got the polio and tetnis shot 3 weeks too early and the dep of health does not recognize him getting the shots. Dr. told me it was no big deal. I shouldn't make a big deal about it. If I don't want, he won't give. But if I give it's like he has extra immunity. But I'm like- he was immunized- shouldn't that cover him for this? I"m all for immunizing, but I don't think it's okay to give an extra for something like polio! I am so angry. Every year this is going to be flagged now. I'm like- why didn't this come up years ago? I think because they were audited or somtehing like that and they refuse to change the date on paper because it's illegal. But I guess it's okay to put down that I "refused" a vaccine even though THAT is a lie. I think it's unethical to try to sneak in a vaccine that I already gave my child (they would;'ve stabbed him with the needle without telling me what happened) and I think it's wrong to penalize my kid for THEIR dumb mistake. I'm so angry. I don't care if they "recognize" who I am. This office has lost my kids blood work, forgotten to order tests from blood work (oh- it's not a big deal to draw blood again! tell that to my four year old!). Did not send me to ENT or the emergency room when I needed one. Negligent.negligent.negligent. I am so angry and I'm looking for a new ped. And when it's my turn during a well visit, don't go running in and out of the room not paying attention to your patient whose turn it it is. I'm venting but I'm looking for advice too. Should I call up the dep of health and find out if my child really needs another polio? Can't they just take a titer level? I'm so mad!! help!

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 6:50 pm
Def call the department of health and get a clear answer.

Titre tests are very expensive, so doctors rarely order one unless you ask. I recently got a titre panel done because I didn't know when my last boosters were, and it was around $300 just for the blood test. (Turns out I have no immunity to varicella, so I have to get that one done soon.)

I'm making Aliyah with my two dogs, and the rabies titre tests for them are $650 EACH! shock That doesn't even include processing the customs paperwork.

nywife

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 7:09 pm
You definitely have valid concerns. Is this a clinic or a private doctors office? If it's a clinic there are higher ups you can speak to regarding this. If it's a private doctors office you probably don't have that option. Either way, if you're not happy, why not start looking for a new pediatrician?

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 7:10 pm
If they have misplaced paperwork in the past maybe they have misplaced your child's appropriate vaccination records? Do you know how old your child was when he received the vaccine? The health dept. goes according to the age in years not weeks....

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 7:19 pm
right so he got his polio vaccine three weeks before he turned 4. He was supposed to get it at age 4.

Eishes Chaim

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 7:26 pm
Definitely look for a new pediatrician.

baschabad

Post Wed, Jun 24 2015, 11:09 pm
Well that's annoying on their end, and also irrational for the DOH! Does three weeks actually change the amount of immunity conferred to the child? Can they actually prove that the magical number makes a difference?

LittleDucky

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 1:47 am
So strange. Get a new pediatrician. Mine won't let me schedule an appointment before that birthday. Sounds like they aren't organized and you don't trust them.

imasinger

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 3:34 am
I agree with FF. Start with the DOH, or if you have any doctor friends, and get clarity on the past. Then, a) switch practices, and b) make a formal complaint.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics