Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
What would you think if s/o sent you this meal?
Previous  1  2  3  4

saw50st8

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 12:16 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
My family and I would be thrilled, and I wouldn't care if it was dropped off in a paper bag, either. We're not the "fancy" types, and grateful that anyone would think of us.

Fox brought up an interesting point that bears repeating. Sometimes the early weeks are easier, and the food is really needed in the next few months. Bringing over meals that can be frozen and reheated later is a real blessing.

When I adopted DD, everyone assumed that I didn't need meals because I didn't give birth to her. I didn't really know how to ask back then, so I didn't sign up for any.

Well, kiddo had colic from day 3, and it continued for almost 4 months. I was EBF, and nearly dead from lack of sleep. I don't really remember what I ate, if anything - except for the one friend who brought me a huge container of lentil soup. I'll remember that soup for the rest of my life!

If you "missed the window" of offering meals in the first couple of weeks, but still want to show your support, please contact the new moms after a month or so and see how they are doing with meals. They may be desperate for a break!

I once signed up to deliver a meal and somehow never got my reminder email. I didn't realize I hadn't sent a meal until 9 pm. I emailed them and apologized profusely and promised to deliver a meal at a later date.

About 3 months later, I cooked them a wonderful feast and brought it over. I doubled up with delivering a meal to another friend and I got that notification :-)

A meal at any time is super helpful. My youngest is 2 and I would still take LOL.

ruchelbuckle

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 12:17 pm
pippy93 wrote:
Mazala tov on the baby.Everyone is busy between work, family, other responsibilities... someone was nice enough to send you something. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth!! What if this person prepares deli and rolls for her family? so then she is treating your family exactly as she treats her family. what if this person doesn't have time to bake/ fry schnitzel and make a kugel.... When my family went through hard times, people were gracious and sent over meals. The kids got sick of bakes ziti and frank furters after 2 months-- but we were kind and thanked all who helped. If you want gourmet food, order in or call a very close friend or relative. iIm sure you are grateful for the meal, but you don't sound like it.

Huh? Did you read the thread? I SENT over the deli to the family!

ruchelbuckle

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 12:21 pm
imaima wrote:
judging by OP's description, she didn't have a chance to pack it up like that.
If I had time for that, I would have had time to cook a meal.

LOL, I think you are right. I put everything in a recycled Pampers box! I did stick in a card. No way that I could have packaged everything up like a gift basket-- never mind that I have two left hands!

ruchelbuckle

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 12:24 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
I once signed up to deliver a meal and somehow never got my reminder email. I didn't realize I hadn't sent a meal until 9 pm. I emailed them and apologized profusely and promised to deliver a meal at a later date.

About 3 months later, I cooked them a wonderful feast and brought it over. I doubled up with delivering a meal to another friend and I got that notification :-)

A meal at any time is super helpful. My youngest is 2 and I would still take LOL.

Next time, just make sure your personal secretary reminds you! Or put it on your live-in's schedule to do it for that day. Smile

agreed, my youngest is almost toilet trained, and I would be happy to take a meal any day of the week!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 12:26 pm
imaima wrote:
judging by OP's description, she didn't have a chance to pack it up like that.
If I had time for that, I would have had time to cook a meal.

I definitely do not mean anything fancy. Just a recycled basket or gift bag from around the house, put everything in, no wrapping or anything.
It was just a thought but I realize that I missed OPs second post where she wrote that she had delivered it already, and like I wrote in my first line, if I would receive this dinner I would be so grateful to the person who took care of a meal for me.

Raisin

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 1:37 pm
saw50st8 wrote:

Except who are you asking to make the meal? You would then have to eliminate any family with babies under 6 months... Smile

heidi

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 1:46 pm
Am I the only one who doesn't appreciate meals being delivered?
After getting turkey legs for a meal, and a puff pastry thingy once, I said, thanks but no thanks. I have never been too sick (B"H) after birth that I couldn't put up a pot of noodles and add cheese. Or throw chicken in the oven.
OP, sorry for the detour--- I think the fact that you thought out a meal was super kind of you. Adding paper goods was amazingly considerate.
Take pride in your chessed.

SRB

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 2:11 pm
I would be grateful and appreciative! It's not the type of food I personaly want after childbirth but easy to serve the kids. Considering how busy you were, I think it was very kind that you brought deli/anything over - that still takes time, effort & money to do!

Stars

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 2:16 pm
heidi wrote:
After getting turkey legs for a meal, and a puff pastry thingy once, I said, thanks but no thanks.

What's wrong with turkey legs and puff pastry things Scratching Head

pesek zman

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 2:30 pm
Stars wrote:

I know, I was thinking the same thing! Turkey legs = yum! I guess it all comes down to personal preferences though

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 6:00 pm
This reminds me of years ago, when my mom had a big emergency surgery just on motzie yom kippur and was due to be flying to Israel the same day for sukkos with the whole family except me ( I was single but lived nearby). Well, everyone in the whole community sent so much food for yomtov we filled three whole freezers, the fridge, and even put some in a neighbor's freezer. My dad, unmarried brothers and I made a list and chose menus for the whole yomtov, including 7 varieties of chocolate cake!

Just when I finally got the kitchen and food organised, about 10 minutes before the first 3 day yomtov, this lady knocked on the door with a huge pan that had the biggest whole chicken I have ever seen, surrounded with potatoes and veg. It was beautiful, enormous and I didn't know whether to laugh or cry because I had nowhere in the whole kitchen or pantry to put it!

It was steaming hot, just out the oven, and it was so large it could have fed us 5 adults for around 4 meals!

I can't even remember how I dealt with it, but the memory of this uber generous gift that just sent me into a panic spiral is so funny I had to share!

sourstix

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 7:56 pm
yes barbara, I know you wrote inthe begining of the thread, alas I just got a chance to read it. I feel like sometimes I am so ungrateful. its so good you were pointing that out. we have so much. we dont even realize it. if we take the time to realize it we would be so much happier. and wouldnt be asking those questions. kudos to the one who always sees the cup half full. can we do something here to facilitate some of that positivity? glad you brought it up thanks its my shiur for tonight.

chicco

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 8:55 pm
Chessed isn't in the WHAT it is in the HOW. That being said, OP clearly put effort and thought into her meal and it wasn't lacking in any department.

For all those who say people should be happy just getting something I disagree. The point of providing meals for new moms is two fold. Satisfying her family's needs so she doesn't have to worry, and showing care and support. Throwing together something that seems thrown together, misjudged quantities, and/or making pasta for them when they've gotten it from everyone else defeats the purpose.

Please don't volunteer for a job that won't be done properly.

summer0808

Post Thu, Jun 25 2015, 10:32 pm
true dont volunteer for what you cant handle BUT RB said that she tried to beg off but was sort of pushed into so she OFFERED the deli and the coordinator accepted.

heidi

Post Fri, Jun 26 2015, 6:50 am
Stars wrote:

I guess that's my point, neither my children nor I would eat things like that. And I felt bad that people had obviously put so much effort into something we found so unappealing.
That said, deli is a much more universally likeable meal (or at least my family thinks so)

Raisin

Post Fri, Jun 26 2015, 7:50 am
heidi wrote:
I guess that's my point, neither my children nor I would eat things like that. And I felt bad that people had obviously put so much effort into something we found so unappealing.
That said, deli is a much more universally likeable meal (or at least my family thinks so)

this is why I hate preparing meals for other people. I always stress over whether they will like the food, if they have allergies, etc. I just envision them laughing at my food, or groaning, oh no, chicken again!

Even with my own family, there is almost nothing that EVERYONE will eat.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics