Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
2 year old with severe sleep apnea+cold

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, Jun 26 2015, 7:28 am
I need advice. My two year old is scheduled to have his tonsils and adenoids removed in about a month. He recently developed a cold, and is up countless times per night, because he can't breath. The doctor put him on Flonase and Claritin. It helped the first night. Last night he was up all night coughing.
Any advice or tips and trick to help us get through this?
He is really not himself all day because he doesn't sleep at night (same with me Twisted Evil )

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Jun 26 2015, 9:07 am
You can elevate one side of his crib where he sleeps to help alleviate the nasal drip
You can put a few drops of peppermint or eucalyptus oil (or olbus oil) on his bedding or in his room (Not directly on child as he is too young)
You can use a lemon essential oil mixed with a carrier oil (in a place that will not be exposed to the sun ) As it is very good at drying mucus.
You can give him probiotics/Vitamin C/elderberry. I am not sure if he is old enough for echinacea. You can ask in health food store.
If you are interested in homeopathic remedies I can list those as well If you describe his symptoms a bit more.

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Jun 26 2015, 9:18 am
a humidifier in the room will help tremendously.

Also ask your dr. about Benedryl. It may be more effective than Claritin. but anti allergy medicine doesn't cure a cold. Try fighting that, orange juice, vitamin C whatever. Even if it doesn't work you'll feel like you are trying.

Frankly your best bet is to put him on antibiotics now before he gets a sinus or ear infection.

Good luck

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, Jun 26 2015, 9:26 am
amother wrote:
You can elevate one side of his crib where he sleeps to help alleviate the nasal drip
You can put a few drops of peppermint or eucalyptus oil (or olbus oil) on his bedding or in his room (Not directly on child as he is too young)
You can use a lemon essential oil mixed with a carrier oil (in a place that will not be exposed to the sun ) As it is very good at drying mucus.
You can give him probiotics/Vitamin C/elderberry. I am not sure if he is old enough for echinacea. You can ask in health food store.
If you are interested in homeopathic remedies I can list those as well If you describe his symptoms a bit more.

Can you go more into detail about the oils? Where do you place them? What function do they serve? Can they hurt, and in what way?

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, Jun 26 2015, 9:30 am
amother wrote:
a humidifier in the room will help tremendously.

Also ask your dr. about Benedryl. It may be more effective than Claritin. but anti allergy medicine doesn't cure a cold. Try fighting that, orange juice, vitamin C whatever. Even if it doesn't work you'll feel like you are trying.

Frankly your best bet is to put him on antibiotics now before he gets a sinus or ear infection.

Good luck

Thank you for the suggestions. This child has been on antibiotics at least once a month in the past few months. I also don't want to do things just for the sake of trying. He Ent said to wait it out (he's not up at night with my son). The humidity in his room is close to 80% right now. So, that is not the answer.
Brainstorming does help- I have options now that were thought of and ruled out. Hopefully I will bring me closer to the solution.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics