Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
How do people in NYC keep kids home in the summer?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 12:52 pm
seeker wrote:
Ideas for dinners kids can help with, or should I just start a spinoff?

A spinoff would be great. I need to get back into this in the summer when we aren't as pressed for time with homework.
I have some idea that I could add as well.

youngishbear

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 12:53 pm
mommy2b2c wrote:
This one doesn't have a pool either. The pool is something else, in sunset park.

Imagination playground is by south street seaport. You don't NEED bathing suits, but why shouldn't the kids wear them? It is a lot more comfortable and fun. I was just giving her a heads up that there is lots of water play at the playground.

I just remembered another awesome trip-
Heckscher playground at Central Park. Amazing climbing structures, water area and sandbox. There are usually people offering face painting or tattoos nearby for $5. My kids enjoyed doing that as well.

For me it was a question of "either they play in their clothes or we don't go at all". Packing and shlepping that much equipment was too much for me.

The sun dried them up. They loved it there.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 12:56 pm
youngishbear wrote:
For me it was a question of "either they play in their clothes or we don't go at all". Packing and shlepping that much equipment was too much for me.

The sun dried them up. They loved it there.

I hear u. In those case I'll do the opposite. They go in bathing suits. More comfortable and dries faster.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 12:59 pm
I personally like bathing suits. They wear the suits under their clothes on our way there and all I need to bring along is changes of underwear and one towel for both kids. Then they put back on the clothes they came in. That's easier for me than dealing with wet clothes.

Maya

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 1:12 pm
I didn't read the thread, I just saw this online and thought it may be helpful.

http://www.nycgovparks.org/hig.....-kids

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 5:26 pm
amother wrote:
camp is a fortune. I am well aware. It is also a luxury.
This year I made the decision to keep my kids (4 of them-ages 8,6,4 and 2) home, and have day activities, I'm a teacher, so I'm off..I'll save a couple thousand dollars, it will be great! and my dh was on board, (even though he is never home)

Fast forward to the summer, its been ONLY one week, (where real camp didn't even start) and we are all going bonkers. I really prepared, I did. I made us schedules, I made charts, and routines, and activity lists, I found coupons to go to great places, I had everything set up all to go.
but I am honestly falling apart. My apartment looks like a war zone,I haven't done any laundry yet, I haven't cooked a meal all week, forget about shabbos....my kids are non-stop fighting (which I dont usually struggle w that much, like my 6 year old is fighting with my 2 year old )
I spent SO much money already on these activities, I spent a TON on projects, so much on random ice cream trips, slurpees, and what not.... and instead of being excited (Which they initially were) my kids are being extremely kvetchy, going to sleep late, waking up early, and just everyone is in a bad mood.

so, to my op, how do people in NYC (without big back yards, and community pools and wtvr) keep their kids home in the summer?

Just want to say. This is all a great big learning experience for your children. They will have to be bored and learn how to cooperate with each other in order to grow into strong capable and creative individuals. Where you fit in as the mother, is to guide them and play with them at various points during the day. Summer is not a freebie, they need to learn how to do extra chores around the house too. and they must learn how to entertain themselves too! IF they whine or complain after you give them some ideas then tell them "OK , I have a few chores for you to do....or maybe its time for a nap?"
I have my kids of similar ages, create bucket lists for the summer. have each of them list 10 things they would like to do during the summer. My 9 year old wrote "eat Pizza" and my youngest wrote "ride bike"

Oh, and dont forget errandss! Have them help you load up the groceries, and pick out some summertime goodies at the supermarket.
Most of all just relax and chill, no one made you entertainment committee. Thats the problem these days's parents are expected to entertain the kids all the time! Enjoy waking up late, long and elaborate pancake breakfasts... walks to the corner store for a lolli pop expedition. Bake cookies, color cool pictures, surf the web for easy arts and craft projects what require tissue paper rolls....

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 7:10 pm
op here (again!)
thanks again for the great posts and advice!
so to the most previous poster who wrote this is a learning experience, wow can you say that again!! This is my first time doing it, and I'm going to stick it through, I just don't know if this will be an annual thing Very Happy
I posted Friday was a great day, we laid low, I also didn't have to cook for shabbos so that was a massive help, but oh boy! shabbos and today! shock

My kids are not used to being with each other non-stop, all day every day, and well lets just say.. its getting old lol. today it was raining in the morning, so we started off playing nicely, but I had to pull out the dvd's by 12... embarrassed

I just need to take it day by day. some days will be awesome, and some days I probably will be pulling my hair out.
Tonight, I am really forcing myself to make a menu and timed schedules for what and when to make for all lunches and supper for next week.
thanks again! this thread has been so enlightening!

srbmom

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 7:12 pm
I second the idea of buying a zoo membership. We did that last summer and were at the zoo at least twice a week. The Queens Zoo is small, but my kids love the petting zoo area where you can feed the goats and the parking is free! The Prospect Park Zoo is a pain to park at, but if you're in Brooklyn you can do mass transit. And the best part is that the membership includes most of the exhibits that you have to pay extra for - which can really add up at the Bronx Zoo.

There is also an amazing park by Rockaway Beach in Far Rockaway. I cannot remember what street it is at - maybe someone else can chime in. It was renovated after Sandy, with a nice large playground structure and it has another area with sand and sprinklers. My kids were happy there for a couple of hours.

gp2.0

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 7:13 pm
For parks with water sprinklers, I dress the kids in bathing suits with cover-up robes on top. They can play on the playground wearing the coverups, and play in the sprinklers wearing just bathing suits.

Laiya

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 7:31 pm
Here's a list of free museums I just came across:
http://kid101.com/5-free-museu.....isit/

Another trip I recall was Gantry Plaza. If you're coming from Queens, it's the last exit on the LIE before the Midtown Tunnel. There are several playgrounds with fancy water sprinklers and an observation deck, where you can see the entire Manhattan skyline. It's a stunning view, on the water. I think we spent the entire day there once.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 7:32 pm
(not op) All these fun parks being mentioned here, are they worth it to go Sundays or you think it will be crazy crowded. My kids actually do go to daycamp but just sundays are enough for me. Which is why I am in awe of all of you who keep your kids home the whole summer. I have such a hard time on Sundays with no neighbors around and dh not home, and me being very low energy. I'm really amazed.

But back to my question- will these fun places that mommy2b2c mentioned be super crowded on sundays in the summer? If yes, any other ideas that I could do myself (no dh around) with 4 kids on Sundays in brooklyn?

Also- regarding bathing suits and parks. those who said they put the kids on bathing suits do you mean under their clothing or they just wear the swimsuits in the sprinkler?
My dh would never allow them to just be in bathing suits in public, other years I've done both- bathing suits with clothing on top and they went into the sprinkler like that. or just clothing and underwear. They were both annoying options...
what do ppl do if you hold they need to be covered?
thanks!

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 7:44 pm
I aim to be out of the house at 10 am and back by 1 pm for a local outing. I'm out by 10 am and back by 3 pm for a large trip, which we do once a week. I don't drive, and I have no interest in schlepping out of state. we have a backyard pool, and our swim time is 3 o'clock every afternoon. after that, it's supper prep time. if I want the kids to help, they do it. if not, they can play in the driveway while I cook. supper is at 5. I generally have them do activities indoors after supper, including having my brother come tutor the older ones in hebrew to keep their skills up. other than that, I give them worksheets (I have an education.com membership) or do some exercise with them. I'm hoping to get them into yoga this summer. I have no interest in having to force them into the house close to bedtime, so we just don't play outside after 5 o'clock. they have chores in the morning before our outings. I insist they get up at 7:30 for mommy day camp (that's a half hour later than for school), and if they are tired, they have to learn to go to sleep rather than staying awake in bed talking to each other across the hall.

I'm not a big fan of staying out all day. it makes me too tired, it exempts the kids from household maintenance, and it means I have to have everything with me all the time. I also don't like when my kids feel entitled to huge trips on a daily basis. I set up a table on my porch, and I have the kids do arts and crafts there. if we bake, they can work with the dough out there too. no reason for these at-home activities to mess up the interior of the house. they have one hour a week set aside for screen time. this is on friday. they must have their rooms cleaned before they can play video games/watch anything. I have a laminated list for each of them that specifies exactly what is involved in cleaning their rooms. this is the rule during the school year as well. since screen time is scheduled right before swimming on friday, I do allow them to opt out of half their swim time to watch one extra cartoon.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 7:50 pm
amother wrote:
(not op) All these fun parks being mentioned here, are they worth it to go Sundays or you think it will be crazy crowded. My kids actually do go to daycamp but just sundays are enough for me. Which is why I am in awe of all of you who keep your kids home the whole summer. I have such a hard time on Sundays with no neighbors around and dh not home, and me being very low energy. I'm really amazed.

But back to my question- will these fun places that mommy2b2c mentioned be super crowded on sundays in the summer? If yes, any other ideas that I could do myself (no dh around) with 4 kids on Sundays in brooklyn?

Also- regarding bathing suits and parks. those who said they put the kids on bathing suits do you mean under their clothing or they just wear the swimsuits in the sprinkler?
My dh would never allow them to just be in bathing suits in public, other years I've done both- bathing suits with clothing on top and they went into the sprinkler like that. or just clothing and underwear. They were both annoying options...
thanks!

How about bathing suit material cover ups on top of bathing suits and rash guard tops with the boys bathing suits?

youngishbear

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 7:59 pm
As I said, I let them play in sprinklers in their clothes, partly because my older kids would refuse to wear exposed swimwear.

Gap sells quickdry shorts, and someone mentioned a rashguard - which is made of swimwear fabric that dries quickly. Old navy and gap sell them in all sleeve lengths.

Anyone have a good solution for girls?

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 8:00 pm
amother wrote:

thanks!

I do just bathing suits. If they need to be covered, do cover ups. Clothing is so uncomfortable.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 8:01 pm
youngishbear wrote:
As I said, I let them play in sprinklers in their clothes, partly because my older kids would refuse to wear exposed swimwear.

Gap sells quickdry shorts, and someone mentioned a rashguard - which is made of swimwear fabric that dries quickly. Old navy and gap sell them in all sleeve lengths.

Anyone have a good solution for girls?
basic colors has swimsuit material dresses for girls. They can wear them over their bathing suits.

seeker

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 9:13 pm
Girls can do a long-sleeve rashguard with a knee-length slinky skirt - they dry really quickly. Or, they definitely do sell dresses made of bathing-suit material and this must be the ideal use for them.

I think you will probably find things more crowded on Sundays, but that doesn't mean you should just not bother. Many things in this big city are just big enough to handle crowds. The Bronx Zoo I hear is a mob scene on Wednesdays when it's free, but should be tolerable on a Sunday because even if half the world is there it is just really big so it shouldn't feel too packed (expect to wait on line any day for the train thing which is the only way to see certain animals. It's one of the extra-charge things unless you're a member, but probably the only way in New York to see really big animals in saddish little habitats...) I have done the Aquarium on Sunday and it was crowded but still enjoyable. Probably best if you get anywhere in the morning since they will fill up over the course of the day. Been to AMNH on Sunday and it was fine, again lots of people but big enough not to feel crowded - go in through the planetarium, it tends to have a shorter line than the main entrance but you can enter to the whole museum from there. Public playgrounds near me definitely fill up, sometimes unpleasantly, on weekends but paid attractions seem less so. If you know people who live near or frequent nice parks you can ask about specific ones. Many will still be doable. I've heard Governor's Island is fine even though more popular on Sundays. My guess is that generally the bigger the place is, the less likely it is to feel crowded even on a Sunday.

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 9:16 pm
just FYI, the aquarium is really diminished due to hurricane sandy. I really don't find it worth the trip these days. I'd keep it as a backup plan if you must have it on your list.

seeker

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 9:48 pm
I went very recently and felt it was worth the trip. I wouldn't consider it a major trip, more of a smaller one, but there is plenty of interesting stuff to see and learn. My gripe is that the admission is too expensive for a minor trip for me, but if you have the WCS membership it's included.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 10:04 pm
Thanks!
I guess I'm just nervous about doing it alone with 4 kids. We go to some really packed places on Chol hamoed but I have dh with me so it's not so bad. I can't really even imagine how to go around a museum or large park with just myself and all kids all different ages being happy at the same place same time.
How does it work for you people?
Also, in general I get very overwhelmed over everything, so I guess the idea alone is making my head spin.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children