Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
What kind of pet do you have? (in a right-wing community)
1  2  Next

Do you own one of these small pets?
Bird  
 17%  [ 8 ]
Hamster  
 2%  [ 1 ]
Guinea Pig  
 8%  [ 4 ]
Gerbil  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Mouse  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Rat  
 2%  [ 1 ]
Snake  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Fish  
 37%  [ 17 ]
Turtle  
 4%  [ 2 ]
Ferret  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Rabbit  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other/More than one kind  
 26%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 45

gp2.0

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 6:37 pm
This poll is for yeshivish, heimish, JPF, etc. living in Brooklyn, Monsey, Lakewood or other very to the "right" enclaves. I know that most people in these communities do not own dogs or cats. I'm very curious how many people own small pets that are kept at home.

So here goes, a skewed poll to satisfy my curiousity!

Last edited by gp2.0 on Sun, Jun 28 2015, 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

tigerwife

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 7:23 pm
I can't answer the poll since I currently do not own a pet but I used to have a beautiful pair of cockatoos!

Maybe we will get a pet again when my child is a bit older.

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 7:31 pm
You list ferret, rat, mice but no cats? If you don't have a cat, of course you can expect to have mice.

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 7:53 pm
My heimish neighbors have: a cat, bunnies, birds, fish and turtles. Have other chassidishe neighbors in Monsey with fish, birds, and two other families with cats. There is someone else nearby with a miniature dog - they are chassidishe and send their kids to regular Mosdos but the dog is kind of private.

gp2.0

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 7:53 pm
amother wrote:
You list ferret, rat, mice but no cats? If you don't have a cat, of course you can expect to have mice.

Lol. I wanted to add cat and dog but I ran out of poll options!!

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 8:02 pm
I have a fish and an obese guinea pig Very Happy

gp2.0

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 8:16 pm
tigerwife wrote:
I can't answer the poll since I currently do not own a pet but I used to have a beautiful pair of cockatoos!

Maybe we will get a pet again when my child is a bit older.

If you don't currently own a pet but used to while being part of a right-wing community you can vote too. Smile

Oh, and I had a lovebird as a teen, two guinea pigs a few years ago, and now we have tropical fish.

I have my heart set on a dog, a poodle mix or schnauzer, but no dog yet.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 8:20 pm
How does that line go? If you build it, they will come.

We built a small (a very small) pond with a "bird beach." And we have bird feeders. And they came. So we have frogs and birds, outside, at the feeders and in the pond. H' takes care of them and we enjoy them. No vet bills, best of both worlds!

Baltimore is more forgiving of eccentricity than the cities you mentioned, but I suspect my pond would pass muster even in more RW communities.

mille

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 8:26 pm
I have a chasidishe friend (Breslov) who has two birds and a cat!

sequoia

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 8:35 pm
mille wrote:
I have a chasidishe friend (Breslov) who has two birds and a cat!

That sounds dangerous Smile

Eventually the birds will be eaten.

Scrabble123

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 8:37 pm
sequoia wrote:
That sounds dangerous Smile

Eventually the birds will be eaten.

That reminds me of a time when my friend went on vacation, and I was responsible for feeding her pets. Anyways, somehow the cat, like every normal cat, managed to open the birds' cage. When I saw what had transpired I was certain that I would find dead birds all throughout the home, but I ended up finding each and every bird. They did a great job finding on top of furniture that the cat could not reach. I returned the parakeets to their cage, ensured that it was properly closed, and the cat has not bothered them since.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 9:31 pm
I'll share my immediate before opening the thread reaction here:
Rock.
In a RW community the only kind of pet you can have is a domem. Possibly tzomeach. Definitely not chai ;-)

Seriously, a very chashuv RW posek said - I heard this over 30 years ago - that he would love to have had pets had he not lived in an apartment as there were so many great halachos his kids would have learned.

alef12

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 9:52 pm
Chickens and rabbits! Not sure if they count, though since they are outside "farm animals" not really pets.

sky

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 10:00 pm
2 year old beta fish.

alef12

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 10:09 pm
Do fish count? I didn't realize. We've had goldfish, though the last one (live 7 years) died recently. The albino frog that lived in the same tank still lives.

We live in Monsey but don't consider ourselves "Right Wing". There is definitely a large Chassidish community in parts of Monsey but not everyone is right wing by any means. I know people with dogs and/or cats. I even know a family with horses!

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 10:38 pm
I don't live in those areas, but DH is Lubavitch, and he's never had pets growing up.

I have two little Chihuahuas, and he's gotten used to them. They are not yappy, don't jump up or lick people, and basically mind their own business. They hate going for walks, so they are "apartment dogs", and are more catlike than anything.

As pets go, they are pretty darn inoffensive, and most people don't even know I have them. They don't have any curiosity about people visiting the house, and stay on their blanket.

Last edited by FranticFrummie on Sun, Jun 28 2015, 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 10:38 pm
Does dh count

I need to keep him on a leash

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 11:03 pm
Other. Pet rock.

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 11:29 pm
Passaic. We know people with a cat, several people with dogs, people with a snake, people with birds, and a bunch of people with fish. The gerbils and guinea pigs tend to make the rounds from schools.

rosemom

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 11:34 pm
We have a maltipoo and my kids just adore him. We all enjoy him and my kids are very involved in his care.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets