Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Spinoff from: Anyone was anti-vaccine, now pro thread
Previous  1  2  3

ReallyRosie

Post Fri, Jul 31 2015, 2:25 am
Well, as someone who was anti-vaxx and now pro, I can share some reasons for why the anti-vaxx crowd has the beliefs they do. It has nothing to do with science or research.

Basically, our society promotes unfair expectations of motherhood and the family dynamic. The medical establishment treats parenting styles as religious interpretation ("your beliefs don't allow you to accept blood transfusions? - great! You don't want to vaccinate your kid and want them in a public school, no problem!") And the anti-vaxxers are defensive of their religious beliefs.

Studies have shown logic proofs and science explanations won't sway anti-vaxxers.

They believe that their children are healthy and good, that illness is something only "those people" suffer from, that the establishment is cruel and that they don't have to live under itd tyranny. "Establishment" is simply whst they perceive the crowd is doing.

When they refuse vaccinations they believe that they are special, unique, unlike the crowd.

They love how magically their bodies will heal, must faster than those who rely on science, which is tedious and non-magical. Dirty raw potatoes are faf more exciting as a burn treatment than antiseptic.

They love how they are misunderstood, as only authentic bearers of truth are.

They love the solidarity, and when you challenge them with science, you are attacking their magical communities.

Finally, there is a terrible eugenics mindset amongst this group. They are afraid of disease and disability, and view these as abberations. Autism and ADHD must be caused by science and chemicals, cancer caused by sunscreen, etc. If you are good and committed to the cause, they reason, then you won't be sick. If you are sick, heaven forbid, a simple dirty raw potato should do the trick. If it doesn't you were meant to die.

If you want to battle the anti-vaxxers, you need to fight selfishness, magic theory, and prejudice. It has nothing to do with science.

I was one of those "alternate schedule" vaxxers. Thankfully I came to my senses before my kids suffered as a result. I had grown up with a disability, and after years of being an outsider, struggling, I wanted to chase the miracle. Every anti-vaxxer has their reasons, but that shouldn't jusity their dangerous actions.

imasoftov

Post Fri, Jul 31 2015, 4:20 am
Think1st wrote:
Selling product or service for profit ,that's how the world works.

But when you want unbiased opinion, on matters of life & death why trust someone who has a financial interest ?

While no anti-vaxxer has any sort of interest, financial, professional, getting media attention, or just a messiah complex?
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics