Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Frum people renting to low class families
Previous  1  2

sourstix

Post Sun, Aug 02 2015, 9:15 pm
eventually I think he will sell to someone jewish or rent to jewish people. I would. dont want to create myself a negative name. as far as my experience most people pay their rent. yes its true that jewish pp require more but our neighborhoods are better then theirs. we have a more refind behavior. we would like to keep our neighborhoods in low crime and its better to come out and see the face of jew anytime they feel the same way.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Aug 02 2015, 9:41 pm
DrMom wrote:
I don't think the OP was referring to the income level of the renters, rather their behavior.

I didn't get the impression she used the word "class" to indicate income level (I'd call the Kardashians "low class" even though they are wealthy).

She did seem to infer that folks on HUD vouchers are not 'classy'. Oh well.

DrMom

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 1:27 am
MagentaYenta wrote:

I thought you were the one who brought up HUD... Scratching Head

DrMom

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 1:28 am
sourstix wrote:
eventually I think he will sell to someone jewish or rent to jewish people. I would. dont want to create myself a negative name. as far as my experience most people pay their rent. yes its true that jewish pp require more but our neighborhoods are better then theirs. we have a more refind behavior. we would like to keep our neighborhoods in low crime and its better to come out and see the face of jew anytime they feel the same way.

I don't know where to start...

Sadie

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 2:30 am
sourstix wrote:

My ILs are Haredi and they live in a 100% Haredi development and it looks like a complete dump. Garbage *everywhere*, broken appliances thrown out in the streets and pathways, old rusty bikes and toys, in the winter I have to leap over pools of water in the hallways from leaks and floods that don't get fixed. Children walk around with candy and throw the wrappers on the ground. Illegal and dangerous additions are built onto the apartments. But if a landlord saw this and decided not to rent to Haredim you would probably think they're an antisemite, right?
(And I would agree that Haredi renters should be judged as individuals, but you're not giving that benefit of the doubt to non-Jews. Remember there are a lot of people on this site with non-Jewish family)

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 7:28 am
sourstix wrote:

I agree with Sadie. A non jew judging my neighborhood would not find this refined behavior. They would say: They crowd big families in small apartment. 7 people are in 1000 foot apartment. There are a bunch of abandoned cars and other junk on people's property. Lawns are unmowed. Houses need maintaining. The kids run wild with no supervision all over everyone's lawns and take whatever they want to play with. The ubiquitous banged up minivans are an eyesore. They throw their trash anywhere.

studying_torah

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 9:14 am
Yup all too often I see a housing development in a non jewish area and I love how nicely it's maintained.
By the way, growing up on the outskirts of boro park years ago, those were the neighbors we had - op. Yes it was annoying and scary at times when the teenagers sat on our stoop smoking ( my house was one of the few jewish houses) but we managed .

sky

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 9:18 am
MagentaYenta wrote:

They would never get HUD for the houses that I know are rented in my neighborhood they would never come close to passing inspection. Its typically illegal and unsafe living arrangements with many families sharing small homes and the landlords look the other way.

If it was a HUD rental were the home was maintained to safe and normal standards (toilet in a bathroom, electricity, etc) and one family or even two living on the property it wouldn't be an issue at all.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 2:23 pm
DrMom wrote:
I thought you were the one who brought up HUD... Scratching Head

I wish I knew how to quote duplicate posts but these are the OPS words "However, they are section 8..."

Fox

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 2:55 pm
Let's set aside the phrase "low class."

Early in our marriage, DH and I lived in a 2-flat next door to a six-unit building similar to that described my the OP.

In fact, it was headquarters of one of Chicago's very minor gangs, the head of which lived there with his family. Actually, the gang boss and his assorted family members were lovely people. I gave them baked goods and brought fresh corn from the country, and they reciprocated by declaring our apartment and car off limits as burglary targets.

Unfortunately, the people attracted by their drug business, old prison friends, and would-be gang initiates left garbage, played music loudly in the street, got into loud fights, and basically initimidated residents of the block.

Homeowners on the block had to organize to get the landlord to address the problems. We had to call the police consistently when actual illegal activity occurred (e.g., open alcohol containers). We had to contact the alderman's office almost daily to complain. We had to clean up grafitti immediately. We had to phone the attorney representing the LLC owner regularly to complain.

The plot thickened when the the owner's name was discovered -- it turned out to be a gay couple with social aspirations. They claimed that the neighborhood block association had launched a vendetta against them because of their s-xual orientation. However, they badly miscalculated, and LGBT residents of the block were infuriated.

It was a huge job to get rid of the building, but eventually the neighbors were successful (we'd moved by then). The building was declared uninhabitable and demolished.

The lesson, IMHO, is that buildings that become the focus of illegal activity or become "party houses" can only be addressed when neighbors work together and apply calm, consistent pressure to landlords.

Raisin

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 4:56 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
I wish I knew how to quote duplicate posts but these are the OPS words "However, they are section 8..."

I read her post to mean that since they were section 8 the landlord was getting his money on time so didn't care how they behaved.

Of course many wonderful upright people get section 8.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 5:03 pm
Raisin wrote:
I read her post to mean that since they were section 8 the landlord was getting his money on time so didn't care how they behaved.

Of course many wonderful upright people get section 8.

Not all HUD vouchers pay 100% of the rent. HUD renters who contribute to their rent still have a requirement to pay their portion of the rent on time.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics