Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Could this be PANDAS?
Previous  1  2

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jul 31 2015, 7:50 pm
seeker wrote:
Which hospital is that?
Does anyone know where in NY they have a good quality sleep clinic? I'm assuming they are not all created equal. I'm sure many just test for sleep apnea and if you don't have that then goodbye.

We tried a sleep study at maimonides sleep center on 7th Ave when dd was 2. I don't think it's the best place. We end up leaving around midnight because dd just wouldn't fall asleep. She was pretty upset, so after a number of hours, we just opted out. They are not specific to pediatrics.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sat, Aug 01 2015, 7:43 pm
PANDAS is an immune disease so the behavior change should be across the board, home and school. If the OP's child is only misbehaving at school you should look for another cause, if it is just one environment not everywhere it is more likely to be reactive than innate or biological.

amother
Yellow

Post Sat, Aug 01 2015, 9:36 pm
ra_mom wrote:
We tried a sleep study at maimonides sleep center on 7th Ave when dd was 2. I don't think it's the best place. We end up leaving around midnight because dd just wouldn't fall asleep. She was pretty upset, so after a number of hours, we just opted out. They are not specific to pediatrics.

We did a sleep study there as well. They were very nice, but you need to make sure that your insurance covers it, and even if they don't require pre-approval, get the pre-approval! Our insurance said they cover a sleep study. They said we didn't need pre-approval. We called. The sleep study called. Same answer. anyway, the insurance denied the claim and said "oh, of course you need pre-approval if you are having a sleep study done in a hospital!" We would've been left with an $8000 bill, but our insurance has a clause that if the insurance refuses to pay, whoever offers the services may not legally go after us, but they can fight the insurance company. So that is my happy story.

Learning

Post Sun, Aug 02 2015, 1:34 am
amother wrote:
PANDAS is an immune disease so the behavior change should be across the board, home and school. If the OP's child is only misbehaving at school you should look for another cause, if it is just one environment not everywhere it is more likely to be reactive than innate or biological.

I agree. Try to get counseling for him. Why doesn't he behave just in school. Is it learning disabilities that bother him. Is he getting bullied. Even is he being s-xually abused. Try to find the reason.

seeker

Post Sun, Aug 02 2015, 2:02 am
I don't know a whole lot about PANDAS but I've seen other possibly similar things that you'd think "but why does it happen more in one place than another" and it seems to me that kids just get more easily overwhelmed in some environments overall - even if nothing particularly triggering is happening there, they just have a harder time holding themselves together. Or it's just a more demanding environment, even if the teacher isn't particularly harsh there are still more expectations and demands than in many homes, so the child could be reacting to that.

Though of course the possibility of other triggers mentioned should be looked into as well.

Since PANDAS can be blood-tested for, why not just rule it out first and then go on with the other questions...

Ruchel

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 6:36 am
I have never heard of PANDAS outside of Imamother

21young

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 10:59 am
Did you try a social worker? I know you took him to the school counselor, but an independent social worker who he doesn't associate with school may have more success with him. I would try that before going to a psychiatrist or testing for PANDAS, I wouldn't rush to medicate a child whose only issues are in school.

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Aug 03 2015, 2:05 pm
21young wrote:
Did you try a social worker? I know you took him to the school counselor, but an independent social worker who he doesn't associate with school may have more success with him. I would try that before going to a psychiatrist or testing for PANDAS, I wouldn't rush to medicate a child whose only issues are in school.
Actaully, we did take him to a psychiatrist per school's request and he was cleared from any mental illness or 3 lettered syndromes....

Right now he is on clyndamycin for 30 days. Would it help if it is indeed PANDAS? And how soon would results show? And can he have a blood test to check his titter during treatment for strep or as long as he is on antibiotic?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics