Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Stopping previous owners mail..vent!

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 7:24 pm
We moved into a house almost a year ago. The previous owners made aliyah and left what seems a lot of creditors looking for money. They put no forwarding address. At first we were collecting their mail and they would be sending a kid over to retrieve it. I have reached out a few times and they have asked me to contact the kid to arrange a time myself. They seem to have no interest in settling their debts. I basically now have a drawer full of mail, stack getting bigger and bigger. I am fed up. Can I just throw out the mail? Can I just tell the mailman to stop dropping it off. I don't feel like I should chase down the family again. I want my drawer back!

Chayalle

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 7:29 pm
You should tell the post office that the people by (name) no longer live at your address, and you don't want their mail.

Tell the people that if the mail you already have is not picked up within 30 days, you will consider it hefker and discard it, including any future mail.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 8:17 pm
All you have to do is write 'does not live here' and put it in outgoing mail for the postal service to pick up.

Fabulous

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 8:31 pm
You can also write return to sender. Or rts. You can also tell mailman if you see him to take the whole stack that they don't live here any more.

Eta: you cannot just throw it out. That's a federal offense

Ashrei

Post Wed, Aug 05 2015, 8:41 pm
If you tell the mailman to take the whole stack, he'll go postal on you. Just dump the stack in the mailbox.

The previous occupants of our home also never put a forwarding address. It was really obnoxious of them. Most of what we got were letters for tzedaka - most of their things we did throw out, oops. A few things that looked kind of important I wrote RTS and put it back in the mail box.

imasoftov

Post Sun, Aug 09 2015, 5:21 am
I've found that sometimes if you write "moved" (or anything else) on an envelope it may just get delivered again, so I cross off the address or cover it up with a sticker.

studying_torah

Post Sun, Aug 09 2015, 12:43 pm
We moved over a year agoand notified the post office and all our bills etc. But we still get mail that was first sent to our old address and then forwarded here. In fact, any mail pertaining to my current home is sent to my old address! I called the local gov to sort it out, they say go to city hall. I don't even know how they have my old address! Gotta love red tape.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating