Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
How long does an Askenaz Chuppah take?

rimon613

Post Sun, Aug 09 2015, 1:18 am
How long does an Askenaz Chuppah take? Also do the chuppas usually start on time?

DrMom

Post Sun, Aug 09 2015, 1:41 am
Depends on the mesader keddushin's preferences, what the family wants, in what country the wedding takes place, if the rav shows up on time, etc.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Aug 09 2015, 2:17 am
As DrMom wrote there are so many variables to ashkenazi wedding.
It depends on so many things.
And just wondering, why ashkanazi is so different than a sfardi one in terms of time?

etky

Post Sun, Aug 09 2015, 2:37 am
DrMom wrote:
Depends on the mesader keddushin's preferences, what the family wants, in what country the wedding takes place, if the rav shows up on time, etc.

Just adding that the yeshiva with which the chattan is associated can be a factor too. For example, classic Gushnik chuppahs are pretty matter of fact and on the short side.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Aug 09 2015, 2:49 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
As DrMom wrote there are so many variables to ashkenazi wedding.
It depends on so many things.
And just wondering, why ashkanazi is so different than a sfardi one in terms of time?

I guess your not familiar with sfardi weddings, but they run different then adhkenaz

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Aug 09 2015, 2:54 am
amother wrote:
I guess your not familiar with sfardi weddings, but they run different then adhkenaz
the chuppah is very different? And no, I have never been to a sfardi wedding.

yenny

Post Sun, Aug 09 2015, 2:57 am
rimon613 wrote:
How long does an Askenaz Chuppah take? Also do the chuppas usually start on time?

chuppa is about 15-20 min and under normal circumstances they start basically on time

Sanguine

Post Sun, Aug 09 2015, 5:43 am
Israel - They only start on time when they're racing to beat Shkiya. Otherwise - whenever.

The length of the Chuppa very much depends on the type of people (not Ashkenaz vs Sfard). A secular wedding will have a totally religious Chuppa, but might just run through the required parts and that's it. For example, one person will say all 7 brachot without all the calling up different people to say the brachot. (The caterer may be an aide as the only religious person there). The Rabbi will probably say a few words about the Kedusha of the union of the couple but it won't be long like a religious wedding may be (or it can be even longer with the couple and friends reading poems and stuff).

In other words - no rules to length of time

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Aug 09 2015, 7:03 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
the chuppah is very different? And no, I have never been to a sfardi wedding.

Yes the only thing in common is ketubah and sheva brachos. Sefardim have a chazzan sung a lot dont walk around seven times say birchas cohanim and other things that im sure I am missing. This is based on syrian weddings I have been to.

etky

Post Sun, Aug 09 2015, 7:20 am
I've been to lots of Sephardi weddings, as well as mixed, and often the only discernable difference bt. the Sephardi and Ashkenazi chuppot (aside from going around the chattan 7 times) is the tune to which the sheva brachot are recited by the Sephardi honorees.
I think that Sanguine is correct that the chuppah reflects the sectorial affiliations or spiritual leanings of the couple rather than their ethnic extraction, at least at all the weddings that I've ever attended here in Israel.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Aug 09 2015, 7:38 am
I would say the chuppah takes about 30 minutes and only starts on time if they are racing to beat shkiya as chani says and want the wedding to occur on that day and not the next after shkiya.

morah

Post Sun, Aug 09 2015, 7:54 am
I'm in a "mixed marriage", so I've been to both types. There are some differences that don't really make much of a difference in terms of time. (As an aside, Shabbat, why would you be surprised that there might be differences? Lots of things, from davening to holidays have differences. If that's such a surprising concept, that is your Ashke-normativity speaking!) Like, sefardi ketubah has a slightly different text, but it doesn't really affect the length. As far as Ashkenazi goes, the stuff that has to be done doesn't take long on its own but various factors can affect things: slow singing, reading the ketubah loud and clear vs mumbling it quickly, sometimes the rabbi gives a speech during the chuppah sometimes not. Also if it's an American style wedding, and you have family members and bridesmaids walking down the aisle, that will affect the timing to. As to on time, well, if they're yekkes it will be on time. Also if the chuppah was called for close to shkiah, then they have to do it on time. Otherwise, all bets are off!

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Aug 09 2015, 8:02 am
morah wrote:
(As an aside, Shabbat, why would you be surprised that there might be differences? Lots of things, from davening to holidays have differences. If that's such a surprising concept, that is your Ashke-normativity speaking!)
No, it is not a surprise to me. I just thought a chuppah was the ketuba being read and the brachot. Why is that so hard to believe?

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Aug 09 2015, 9:38 am
Are you counting bedeken?

Iymnok

Post Sun, Aug 09 2015, 10:35 am
Sephardim have some singing added in.
Some have a speech (that I'm not sure anyone listens to...)
Some have everyone walk down the aisle.
Some are punctual to the minute, others are two hours late.

Ask the baalei simcha. I've done it, no one was offended.

etky

Post Sun, Aug 09 2015, 10:48 am
Iymnok wrote:
Sephardim have some singing added in.
Some have a speech (that I'm not sure anyone listens to...)
Some have everyone walk down the aisle.
Some are punctual to the minute, others are two hours late.

Ask the baalei simcha. I've done it, no one was offended.

Just like Ashkenazi chuppot.

wiki

Post Sun, Aug 09 2015, 1:56 pm
Most Chuppahs take 20-30 minutes, depending on if there's a speech, or lots of really slow music, or a really, really slow person reading the Kesubah. The factors that make the bigger difference about timing are the things that could slow everything down before the chuppah starts, from the Chosson's tisch that goes overtime (Mesader kiddushin or other kibbudim showing up late, or just because), to the number of people in attendance (it takes longer to get a large group seated for the chuppah), to the number of relatives who will be walking down that aisle (a big family that walks down the aisle can take as long as the chuppah itself). Once the chuppah starts, there's not a great deal of variation how long it will take.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Aug 09 2015, 2:05 pm
etky wrote:
Just like Ashkenazi chuppot.

I was describing all frum weddings, I just don't know what sefardim sing.
I believe Yekkes also add in a peek of Tehillim.

In Israel they break the glass in the middle, in America at the end.

m in Israel

Post Sun, Aug 09 2015, 3:01 pm
I agree with those who have said that this is much more about the specific social group rather than Ashkenazic vs. Sefardic. There are certain slight differences in nussach between Ashkenazic and Sefardic chasunahs, but the things that really affect timing have much more to do with style, location, religious affiliation, etc.

For example even within the very specific subset of "Chareidi Ashkenaz", IME the Israeli version of a Chuppah is MUCH shorter than the American ones I've been to. In most Chareidi Ashkenazi Israeli weddings, the Chuppah is held outside without seating. Everyone kind of crowds around, and there is no real "walking down the aisle". Many specifically don't use any sound system (some Halachic question about hearing the brachos through a microphone), and so except for those really close, most people can't even hear much of what is going on. As a result there is not much ceremony of calling people up for different kibbudim, etc. (meaning they may give different brachos to different people, but their is no formal announcements and waiting for them to walk down to the chuppah, etc.). Those chuppas can be as short as 15 minutes.

In the parallel circles in America (meaning also Ashkenazic Chareidi/Yeshivish), even if the chuppah is completely outdoors (as opposed to inside with a skylight), there are rows of chairs set up, and everyone sits down and watches as the chasan and Kallah (and perhaps grandparents) formally walk down the aisle. There is almost always a sound system and the kibbudim are announced and happen much more slowly. Many will also have singing both at the beginning and during the 7 Brachos, and they can run as long as half an hour, even more if you include all the time it takes for everyone to come in and go out of the Chuppah room.

And this is between two groups that have very similar ceremonies. If you want to compare it to DL/MO style Chasunas, you will have even more differences. And of course the personal preferences make a big difference, too, as it can impact things like whether the Rabbi (or anyone else) speaks under the Chuppah, etc.

And as far starting on time, it totally depends on the families involved. . .
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics