Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Took caffeine pill today- did I screw up???
Previous  1  2

Another mom

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 11:11 am
Never heard of a caffeine pill!!.. was it invented just for YK? Why would a non Jew take one?? Also, once I hv a headache I need Tylonol too. Is the caf. pill really enough? I'd ask my LR if it's allowed, cuz it's not really a medication. I know u can't take vitamins.

newmom1987

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 7:53 pm
my rabbi said "if you're so addicted to caffeine that you're willing to put it in your rear end, you've got bigger problems than YK" LOL

amother
White

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 8:59 pm
I was told caffeine suppositories are fine to do on yom kippur because it isn't medicine.
Tylenol on the other hand should only be taken if a head ache will happen.
So I understood caffeine was more lenient to take (don't know about orally) then Tylenol or Advil.
I took a caffeine with Tylenol in the morning and then a plain Tylenol in the afternoon (Tylenol suppositories are over the counter in regular pharmacies). I get bad headaches when fasting and I deal much better with my kids and can manage once the Tylenol absorbs.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 9:08 pm
Dh wants to know why I just burst out laughing,

EnnuiGalore

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 10:44 pm
amother wrote:
Dh wants to know why I just burst out laughing,

Something about not shoving something up one's behind in the name of kedusha?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 10:53 pm
EnnuiGalore wrote:
Something about not shoving something up one's behind in the name of kedusha?

Yeah

PassionFruit

Post Fri, Sep 25 2015, 12:13 am
A really great trick that I don't see many people advocating is: don't wean off caffeine before the fast, INCREASE intake the last day before yk. Seriously, any caffeine addict will tell you they would rather suffer one day [yk] than a week weaning off! The last day before the fast I triple the amount of coffee I normally drink and I do not get one headache the entire fast. This trick is very popular in my family, and it works for all of us. As for sleeping that night, it honestly doesn't make one difference to me, I went to bed at 9:30 this year. Worth a try, and then the caffeine pills can be emergency back up.

chani8

Post Fri, Sep 25 2015, 12:53 am
My family drinks too much caffeine usually, so we take Tzom Kal before the fast, and no one has caffeine withdrawals or headaches.

notshanarishona

Post Fri, Sep 25 2015, 4:52 am
funnyface wrote:
A really great trick that I don't see many people advocating is: don't wean off caffeine before the fast, INCREASE intake the last day before yk. Seriously, any caffeine addict will tell you they would rather suffer one day [yk] than a week weaning off! The last day before the fast I triple the amount of coffee I normally drink and I do not get one headache the entire fast. This trick is very popular in my family, and it works for all of us. As for sleeping that night, it honestly doesn't make one difference to me, I went to bed at 9:30 this year. Worth a try, and then the caffeine pills can be emergency back up.

Terrible idea... Make yourself dehydrated before you start.

Karnash

Post Fri, Sep 25 2015, 9:18 am
According to the Mayo Clinic, coffee does not dehydrate.
I've been increasing my coffee intake before a fast for many years. Haven't had a headache on a fast since I started. Now that research has shown that caffeine has many health benefits, why not? I'm not a doctor and if you have high blood pressure or coffee makes you jittery, maybe this is not the method for you, but it works for me and many others.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions