Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Ridiculous question, but...is there financial aid for NYC day camp?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 9:40 am
The prices are absurd, and it's really not in the budget after school tuition...but do any of these places offer financial aid? (We both work hard, for what it's worth). Also, those of you who really can't afford camp - what do you do instead and does your kid feel left out? Not sure we will be able to swing this at all. Sad

happy mommy6

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 10:04 am
They do in Chicago Smile not tons but something!

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 10:29 am
Sometimes. Depends on the camp.
Some will let you do fair share I.e .lend them your car for trips , host counselors, in exchange for a discount.

TwinsMommy

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 10:58 am
I did 12 weeks of camp mommy. Science museum. Playgrounds. Spray parks. Mall. Out for ice cream and lunch. Library. Lots of reading. Crafts. Etc etc. Not easy but cheap.

SRS

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 11:45 am
We can technically afford camp, but I just prefer to not spend every penny we make because I want to have options open for other things in life. I don't think my kids necessarily feel left out. This summer I offered them some camp time in a sports or arts camp and their interest level was low. So I thought I'd step the summer up, and you know what. . . they were more than happy to just occupy themselves (and do some fighting too).

Camp prices are steep. I don't consider them "absurd" because childcare is pricey. I do know there are plenty of people who seek discounts, either through camps or through school so they can make room for camp. Those who don't like to seek discounts or who are defined as "rich" aren't going to get these discounts. I think the approach to take with children is that it is not necessary. Go on bike rides, join a pool, go to a few library programs. Cook, bake, do a few crafts, have reading time, work on skills in music or sports, and there goes your summer. Kids really don't need shuttled around from activity to activity to be occupied.

mha3484

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 11:51 am
Are there any options besides the expensive more brand name camps? My area has tons of back yard camps that offer a shorter day for a more reasonable price.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 11:51 am
Do you sign up for camp in September?

yidishmamma

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 11:56 am
If u qualify for vouchers I think many daycamps accept it too

EnnuiGalore

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 12:00 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Are there any options besides the expensive more brand name camps? My area has tons of back yard camps that offer a shorter day for a more reasonable price.

Not in my area, unfortunately

EnnuiGalore

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 12:00 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Do you sign up for camp in September?

Early bird discount deadline in October.

Delores

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 1:05 pm
SRS wrote:
but I think the approach to take with children is that it is not necessary ...Kids really don't need shuttled around from activity to activity to be occupied.

If both parents are at work and the kids are too young to be home alone, camp is definitely a necessity.
I think if you can't find a discount start putting away money every month for this, if it is indeed a necessity for your family.

SRS

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 1:11 pm
Delores wrote:
If both parents are at work and the kids are too young to be home alone, camp is definitely a necessity.
I think if you can't find a discount start putting away money every month for this, if it is indeed a necessity for your family.

I guess we need every disclosure under the sun to post an opinion. Smile
Yes, if kids are not legally allowed to be home, they need to be supervised by an adult.
That need not be in the form of camp. Rav Schacter talks about his grandparents watching him in the summers when his parents worked. I keep an eye on some neighbor boys during the summer that are home alone. They can legally be home alone, but call me when they need a ride or want some company.

Neighbors can work together and camp isn't the only solution.

Fave

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 2:38 pm
EnnuiGalore wrote:
Early bird discount deadline in October.

Wow these camps really don't believe that Moshiach might come soon.

Amarante

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 4:43 pm
Seems as though the issue isn't camp but childcare when school isn't in session.

If a parent is home or children are old enough to be home by themselves, camp is a luxury and not a necessity. Many children don't go to camp or go for a week or two. I didn't go to camp most of the summer although we were out of the city when I was in elementary school age and so the gang of relatively unsupervised cousins and friends would make our own amusements. We would occasionally be taken to the beach or dropped off to swim but we made our own games both outdoor and indoor board games and cards. But really what I remember and treasure most from my childhood summers is the ability to do nothing or more accurately to have large swaths of time when I wasn't expected to be doing anything. I read and hung out but the lack of pressure to be somewhere within certain time periods and just have a whole day to do whatever seemed like fun was such a luxury.

I did go to sleep away camp for a few weeks but I enjoyed my freedom more than the supervised fun of camp although camp was fine.

And if childcare is necessary, perhaps there are less expensive alternatives since most working parents need to find childcare alternatives during the summer.

BrachaBatya

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 9:45 pm
Camp is a fortune. We send our children and we believe in Jewish camp and all the good that comes from it, but it's a huge expense each year. I don't think too many give financial aid, but maybe some do.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 10:20 pm
you have a few options:

1) find a relative who can watch your children at a reduced rate for the summer.

2) do mommy day camp. we do this, and we look forward to it all year. it's quality time together, and we get together with other mommy camp kids for some activities.

3) hire a teenager or two with a couple of other families. plan out activities and let the hired counselor do the work. I have friends who do this, and the kids really enjoy it. have a rotation scheduled so indoor activities are done in each of the families' houses on different days.

4) see if you can take your kid to work with you. not as doable, but if you have a job that allows for it, why not?

5) get a job in a day camp.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics