Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Kosher cruise vs. kosher meals on reg cruise
Previous  1  2

DallasIma

Post Fri, Oct 09 2015, 12:43 pm
We took a Norwegian cruise last year from Vancouver (BC) to several ports in Alaska. The cruise was not kosher, but there was a whole group of observant Jews on the cruise, and the travel agent (also observant) arranged for kosher packaged meals for us. We went with a motley crew (observant neighbors, their non-observant relatives) and we ourselves are a motley crew, because my husband isn't observant! Turned out by Hashgacha Pratit, my mechutanim (observant) were also on that same cruise. The packaged meals were sort of meh, but they were nourishing, and the cruise staff people were very accommodating. In fact there was even a suite set aside for Shabbat services, complete with a curtain for a mechitzah! I sort of wish that if we ever go on a cruise again, though, it would be a kosher one, so that the entertainment and other programs would be more suited to my hashkafa. But I don't know if that's a possibility because of the expense (I don't think DH would mind about the programming).

rivkaz

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 10:16 am
As someone who has been on both kosher and non kosher cruises , I can say that while non kosher is cheaper, you don't fully get to enjoy the cruise because the packaged meals are inedible. Since you are going on a cruise to enjoy a vacation, then you should really be able to enjoy thoroughly in all ways . I would recommend that if you are on a budget, take a cheaper cabin because you will spend most of your time out of the cabin and that's how you can save - go kosher but in a cheaper cabin and you can be able to fully enjoy the cruise and shore excursions by eating 3 freshly prepared meals a day plus snacks with fresh breads and pastries. And the company Kosherica even extends special menus to gluten free and sugar free and other special diets. They even have displays of fruit carvings and ice sculptures. Also keep in mind that a kosher cruise has minyan 3x a day and a Torah on Shabbat. To me , those were things worth paying for .
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics