Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Did you ever hear of a boss buying a house for a worker?
Previous  1  2

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 7:11 am
imasoftov wrote:
In your OP, you were "Just curios" [sic]. Now you "need to hear".

Nevermind....its ppl like you Who make this world a colourful place.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 7:14 am
I thank everyone who has taken the time to answer my question. It was very important to me to hear what others have to say on this. And if you ever came across it. I thank you.

Anyone else I'm still open to hear more Salut

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 7:25 am
I wouldn't do it. It sounds very manipulative. And believe me, I've worked for crazy, manipulative, frum bosses that work their workers much much much much harder than any regular boss. For example, I now work in a bank in Manhattan, and my boss is not Jewish. We had off for Columbus Day, and that's it - no answering emails, no nothing. A frum boss wants you on hand all hours of night and day, etc. And it's easy to cross the line. I am very happy for many reasons, including tznius reasons, that I work with truly professional people.

Raisin

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 9:05 am
I've heard of tied housing. Eg a caretaker, rabbi, etc get free housing. (which is great - but the employee might want to invest in a property of his/her own in case he or she loses that job) Although I have heard of long term employees in that situation being sold the said house for a cheaper price; but I don't know how common that is.

I also know people who were relocated temporarily for their job and part of the package included a house.

Someone I know was offered help with a down payment - he worked for a non profit in a very expensive location - I guess the non profit wanted to ensure he wouldn't move away.

sourstix

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 10:33 am
yes my parents came to america when they were young and were offered as a package deal at the job that he would get housing included. not own one but rent free. this was about 45 yrs ago.

STMommy

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 11:56 am
I work in a field that is supersaturated in my area of the US but experiencing severe shortages in other areas. Someone in my field who takes a job in one of those areas, would get a very significant housing allotment/bonus from the company who hires them. There are offers like this from numerous places in the U.S. trying to attract workers in my specialty.

zaq

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 2:09 pm
amother wrote:
I know someone who may get a house from his boss because his boss owns multiple complexes and can "spare" one townhouse. However, there are financial cheshbonos that others wouldn't be aware of, for example, the employee has invested $250,000 with his employer, so that would be payback of sorts. In addition, the rest of the value of the house would be slowly deducted from the paycheck over the course of a number of years.

Then the boss is not "buying a house" for the employee but selling him one on the installment plan.

imasoftov

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 3:45 pm
amother wrote:
Nevermind....its ppl like you Who make this world a colourful place.

I'm making that my signature.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 4:12 pm
I think I saw something like this on undercover boss

sourstix

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 4:31 pm
yes I did too on undercover boss.

WhatFor

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 4:34 pm
Is your boss Arnold Schwarzenegger, and is your coworker pregnant with his kid? Because then yeah, it's totally standard procedure.

fbc

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 4:45 pm
Lol never heard of such a thing, but I'd sure love if my boss would offer me a house!

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 5:13 pm
WhatFor wrote:
Is your boss Arnold Schwarzenegger, and is your coworker pregnant with his kid? Because then yeah, it's totally standard procedure.

Lol! Its a man to a man!

agreer

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 5:43 pm
I live in an expensive community where a noted philanthropist who has given many people jobs is also known for helping his employees with their rent/mortgage.

however, he is a unique individual and most people would not do so without a little quid pro quo.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 9:02 pm
amother wrote:
I wouldn't do it. It sounds very manipulative. And believe me, I've worked for crazy, manipulative, frum bosses that work their workers much much much much harder than any regular boss. For example, I now work in a bank in Manhattan, and my boss is not Jewish. We had off for Columbus Day, and that's it - no answering emails, no nothing. A frum boss wants you on hand all hours of night and day, etc. And it's easy to cross the line. I am very happy for many reasons, including tznius reasons, that I work with truly professional people.

Seriously? How do you know that? Did you work for every frum business owner?
Did you ever read Straight to Hell? Very professional people but...

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Oct 14 2015, 6:50 am
I worked for enough of them, and a number of large corporations, to know the difference. There is a big difference. No one is "nickel and diming" me for my wage, nothing is getting paid under the table (or not getting paid at all, or asked to go on commission). In addition, nobody is coming to my house to ask me to urgently take on more work, and no one is demanding that I don't leave until 2 hours before Shabbos. Everyone can spell, and pays their taxes in full, and doesn't use sham charitable organizations to avoid taxes. It's better for me, way better. And the tznius too, but I don't feel comfortable elaborating on that.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics