Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
If you don't let kids chew gum, why?
1  2  Next

If you don't let your kids chew gum, why?
It's rude / ill-mannered  
 29%  [ 28 ]
It's a choking hazard / unsafe to swallow  
 28%  [ 27 ]
I don't trust them to dispose of it properly when they're done  
 17%  [ 17 ]
Es pas nisht (which I feel is different from stam "it's rude"... this is a Jewish flavored option, that Jews are more dignified than gum-chewers)  
 25%  [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 96

bigsis144

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 9:18 pm
My 6 year old is obsessed with the idea of chewing gum. Mint gum that I keep in my purse for breath freshening... bubble gum at the grocery store... he's always asking me for gum.

And I don't feel comfortable giving it to him, though I don't quite know why.

If you don't let your kids chew gum, what reason do you give? Do you allow gum-chewing only after a certain age?

shanie5

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 9:31 pm
When I was in high school my science teacher told us how unhealthy it was to chew gum-s/t about chewing leads to stomach\ acids developing, but not swallowing causes the acids to eat the stomach lining. I dont remember exactly. She also said to watch people as they chew gum. The part about the stomach acid didnt bother me-still no idea how true it is. But I did start watching people chew gum-and haven't put a piece in my mouth since then (9th grade).

That said, I dont stop my kids from chewing gum. I do have one rule-no chewing in the house-and thats because I dont want to find it on the bottom of a chair or stuck in the carpet!

amother
White

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 9:32 pm
A combination of the first and last choice. I don't let my kids chew gum and its really a little of both. It's disgusting when I wait on line in a store or whatever and the lady behind me is chewing away making all these horrible noises

sourstix

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 9:41 pm
firstly I dont want to find it on clothes and all around the house. I dont trust what they will do with it. and it doesnt look nice to be chewing near people like that. it doesnt look and sound nice.

gp2.0

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 10:41 pm
My 5.5 year old begs me for gum sometimes. Every now and then I give in. I remind her not to swallow it. I remind her again not to swallow it. Inevitably, she swallows it. "Mommy," she says with a horrorstruck look on her face, "I accidentally swallowed the gum - by mistake."

That's why.

justmarried

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 10:43 pm
Actually, it's against my kids school rules

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 10:59 pm
I guess its a combination of all 4 reasons.
I cant say that I never let them at all, occasionally I do allow it, like purim, parties, on trips.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 11:52 pm
The stomach acid thing. We also used to call chewing gum "cowing" when I was younger because of what it looks like. Though lately, I have two kids I specifically give it to, because they are sensory seekers and very oral and without gum, they chew their shirts, nails, etc.

sped

Post Wed, Oct 14 2015, 2:33 am
I think it is disgusting. After years of hearing teachers describe it as similar to cows and laughing it off, I once looked at the driver of a car chewing gum(I remember just where - 14th ave and 46th st in B.P.) and she looked mamash like a cow! That was the last time I stam chewed gum. I used it a few times for nausea, but even I haven't for years.
I do let my kids chew outside our house (not with me) because I feel like it's not right to stop them from something that most people do.

vicki

Post Wed, Oct 14 2015, 3:11 am
We have sugar-free gum in the house all the time.
Yes, it looks boorish and sounds ugly but it prevents me from popping chocolate in my mouth instead.
I don't mind if the kids have it, also instead of junk sometimes.

DrMom

Post Wed, Oct 14 2015, 3:14 am
I don't see any reason to allow it. It looks boorish, it has no nutritional value, they could choke, it's sticky.

I won't freak out if someone gives them a stick of gum in a party bag or something, but why would I deliberately buy such a product and give it to my children?

kalsee

Post Wed, Oct 14 2015, 3:18 am
I also don't like that they play with it and the dirt from their hands goes into their mouth.
I give out gum when we go on longish car rides(1/2 hour or more) to help stop the nausea. Otherwise I don't allow it.

greenhelm

Post Wed, Oct 14 2015, 8:12 am
When I was a kid I used to chew gum non-stop, and I think I really messed up my jaw as a result - there were times I could barely open my mouth. I pretty much stopped chewing gum around 25 years ago (except for the odd piece a few time a year) and I still feel the effects.

I don't mind my kids chewing gum every now and then, but that's about it.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Oct 14 2015, 8:56 am
"A gum-chewing person,
And a cud-chewing cow,
Are somehow alike,
But different somehow.
I've thought and I've thought,
And I think I know now:
It's the thoughtful look
On the face of the cow."

My mom taught me this poem when I was, like, five and I've never forgotten it. As for myself, I chose the second option. I'm terrified of my kids choking, c"v.
Anon 'cause all my siblings know the poem too and will figure me out! Smile

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Oct 14 2015, 9:50 am
amother wrote:
"A gum-chewing person,
And a cud-chewing cow,
Are somehow alike,
But different somehow.
I've thought and I've thought,
And I think I know now:
It's the thoughtful look
On the face of the cow."

My mom taught me this poem when I was, like, five and I've never forgotten it. As for myself, I chose the second option. I'm terrified of my kids choking, c"v.
Anon 'cause all my siblings know the poem too and will figure me out! Smile

I know the poem too and I'm not your sibling. we had a teacher say this poem to a girl in middle of class, probably cuz she was chewing gum.
A gum-chewing girl
and cud-chewing cow
are so alike
yet different somehow
Ah, I see it now
It's the intelligent look
on the face of the cow.

the world's best mom

Post Wed, Oct 14 2015, 10:19 am
I don't usually allow it, because it causes cavities. Some of my kids inherited my wonderful teeth, and they have enough cavities without chewing gum. Also, I'm afraid the little ones could choke on it.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Oct 14 2015, 11:00 am
None of the above. You should have an option for "other." I chew gum due to a medical condition, and I resent people comparing me to people who just chew gum for the fun of it. I have a condition called dry mouth, and it's the only option that works to keep my mouth moist. So don't judge...maybe there are kids who need to chew for whatever reason other than that it's not polite or they don't know how to properly dispose of it.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Oct 14 2015, 11:10 am
I actually allow my 7 year old to chew gum, because it's good for kids who seek sensory stimulation, and boy does she fit into that category! Otherwise I feel like she's chewing me!

But only in the house, as eating on the street is unrefined. With lots of reminders to dispose of it properly. And the rule is, if I see your gum outside of your mouth, it goes into the garbage.

(and there's a Carbona stain devil that works wonders if a piece of gum gets stuck to your linen. and another one for removing permanent marker, in case your child decides to use one on paper while lying on your bed. I've used both, successfully.)

tymama

Post Wed, Oct 14 2015, 12:22 pm
I would really chose first three. I don't chew gum because it's rude and wouldn't want my kids to because its dangerous and it'll get everywhere.

Fox

Post Wed, Oct 14 2015, 12:34 pm
My kids thought I was the meanest mommy in the history of mommydom because I wouldn't allow gum in the house.

I turned a blind eye to any gum they were given outside the house on the theory that too much drama on my part would such make it seem forbidden and thus more attractive.

Just recently, though, we were talking about it, and they literally thanked me (yeah, I nearly fainted from the shock) for not allowing them to develop the habit. Several of their friends are enthusiastic gum chewers, and they see how unattractive it is and how difficult it is to restrict yourself to only chewing gum at home, etc.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics