Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
How much to give for sheva bracha gift?

beth allen

Post Thu, Oct 15 2015, 1:06 am
Invited to sheva bracha, but not to wedding. what is appropriate amount to give(in ny area)?

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Oct 15 2015, 6:39 am
Only a few times I was invited to a sheva brachas but not a wedding. Invited by the person making the sheva bracha and either didn't know or barely knew the newlyweds so in that case I really just brought something for the host/hostess... like a bottle of wine or a box of chocolates. Was that wrong? I'm supposed to be giving gifts to newlyweds in such cases?

Sanguine

Post Thu, Oct 15 2015, 7:03 am
amother wrote:
Only a few times I was invited to a sheva brachas but not a wedding. Invited by the person making the sheva bracha and either didn't know or barely knew the newlyweds so in that case I really just brought something for the host/hostess... like a bottle of wine or a box of chocolates. Was that wrong? I'm supposed to be giving gifts to newlyweds in such cases?
You're supposed to give the couple the gift. You're there to bless their marriage. That's what 7 brachot are all about. You can bring the host a bottle of wine too if you want. The host shouldn't just invite people who are her friends who have no connection with the couple (why would you want to go?)

But about the gift (don't live in NY now but was married and had Sheva Brachot there too), so this is my (humble) opinion. For a wedding a cash gift is always the most appreciated gift (unless the young couple is already loaded). A wedding gift should be a respectable amount of money (don't ask me what I call respectable). But Sheva Brachot is a good time to give a useful gift. A tablecloth, a nice casserole... Something the couple can use (not another crystal wine bottle - we got 7!). My favorite Sheva Brachot gift was a simple pyrex pan. It was tinted brown so it became my Chalavi lasagne pan. I wouldn't have known I needed one if I didn't get it as a gift. DD broke it after 20 years of use.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics