Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
Any interest in starting a writing group in person? NYC

JayZsims

Post Wed, Feb 13 2013, 5:02 pm
I live in NYC and was wondering if anybody would be interested in starting up a writing group. I would want it to be a focused group that isn't just coming together to shmooze but is comprised of writers who are really interested in improving thier skills and work. I have some excersizes and I think it would be fun to try excersizes in the group and bring in works that we have worked on in between meetings. I think constructive criticism is important so the participants would have to be open to having their work analyzed. Would anyone potentially be interested?

Last edited by JayZsims on Wed, Feb 13 2013, 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

singleagain

Post Wed, Feb 13 2013, 5:04 pm
That sounds interesting, I live in jersey do It's not too far, where exactly in ny would it be? Like which borough? What times?

amother

Post Wed, Feb 13 2013, 5:07 pm
I would be interested, but is it in NYC or Brooklyn? Are you charging for leading the group or is it just like a club type thing? I'll PM you if I'm still interested.

JayZsims

Post Wed, Feb 13 2013, 5:12 pm
I'm in Queens but I would be willing to have a rotating meeting place.

JayZsims

Post Wed, Feb 13 2013, 5:19 pm
No I wouldn't be charging. I would prefer it to be a group where everybody contributes without having a set leader. I wouldn't mind starting off giving some direction and structure to the group but I am open to ideas that come from anywhere.

smilingmom

Post Wed, Feb 13 2013, 6:09 pm
I'm in. I have written a non-fiction book and several articles,but I am stuck with my first fictional work. I find writing dialogue tiresome.

seeker

Post Wed, Feb 13 2013, 7:18 pm
I'd be interested in theory but really hard to commit to the time/place.

Jughead

Post Thu, Feb 14 2013, 7:13 pm
I am not in NY, so I would not be able to join. However, I moderated a writing group for a number of years and would be willing to offer advice/guidance if you're interested. you can pm me if you'd like

JayZsims

Post Thu, Feb 14 2013, 7:43 pm
So far it's realistically just 3 interested people. Would you be interested in starting with just the 3 of us? Or should I see if we can drum up more interest? I don't mind travelling to either brooklyn or New Jersey, although if we're talking about Lakewood or Deal, those are a really big shlep and maybe we could find a middle ground.
Jughead, thanks for the offer. I'll definately PM you if I need guidance.
Seeker, I think in general it is hard to commit. If I send you the info once we work it out, you can always decided to join last minute.

singleagain

Post Thu, Feb 14 2013, 7:45 pm
I live in Elizabeth, nj and there are some nice places to meet up .... Or there's always Starbucks...

amother

Post Sat, Feb 16 2013, 9:01 pm
(Amother from before) I think I am interested in this, but it depends on the time, place and day of the week. I don't have a car so I probably can't commit to any location other than Brooklyn. Sad

Would we only be bringing previously written works, or writing in group?

Another thing: maybe we could Skype interested members who aren't local.

Della

Post Sat, Feb 16 2013, 11:21 pm
I would be interested. I have been in writing groups before, but locally in Monsey. I cannot travel to Queens, but possibly northern NJ.

smilingmom

Post Tue, Oct 27 2015, 6:52 pm
Please check out this new thread. There is a new writers group forming.
We will be tentatively meeting Sunday's afternoons. Exact dates and locations to be determined soon.
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....ight=

Boysrock!

Post Tue, Oct 27 2015, 10:19 pm
A brooklynite here - I am definitely interested. I would prefer in-person workshop for sure! And Sunday afternoon
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club