Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
Looking for writing group, NYC

smilingmom

Post Tue, Oct 27 2015, 9:56 am
I am looking for a writing group that meets on evenings or Sundays, preferably in Manhattan or Brooklyn.
I have taken courses and joined writing groups before, but most of the good ones are in the afternoon or Saturday.
I also found that the writing groups that are reasonably priced lack the professional oversight that I enjoy and benefit from.
I have seen a few online, but again, the good ones are prohibitively expensive.

Any ideas?

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Oct 27 2015, 10:01 am
smilingmom wrote:
I am looking for a writing group that meets on evenings or Sundays, preferably in Manhattan or Brooklyn.
I have taken courses and joined writing groups before, but most of the good ones are in the afternoon or Saturday.
I also found that the writing groups that are reasonably priced lack the professional oversight that I enjoy and benefit from.
I have seen a few online, but again, the good ones are prohibitively expensive.

Any ideas?

I think you should start your own. get a group of five well-read women together. there may not be professional oversight involved, but a) it would be free and b) well-read people can offer very valuable critique. I'd love to join if the time is right Smile

gp2.0

Post Tue, Oct 27 2015, 10:16 am
I would love to join too!!! My half-finished novel has been on the back burner for ages.

smilingmom

Post Tue, Oct 27 2015, 11:04 am
OK, I'll do it if I can get a commitment from ten women to join for 12 consecutive weekly sessions.

Please post or PM me your preference for a weekday evening or Sunday. Each session will be two hours.

We can decide on group rules and format, but will basically follow the standard writing group rules.

As far as a place, once I get a commitment, I will look for a place, but if anyone has connection to a place that has a room we can use, please let me know.

smilingmom

Post Tue, Oct 27 2015, 11:07 am
I saw that there are previous threads that are similar.
I hope if some of those imamothers are still interested we can get something going soon.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Oct 27 2015, 11:28 am
smilingmom wrote:
OK, I'll do it if I can get a commitment from ten women to join for 12 consecutive weekly sessions.

Please post or PM me your preference for a weekday evening or Sunday. Each session will be two hours.

We can decide on group rules and format, but will basically follow the standard writing group rules.

As far as a place, once I get a commitment, I will look for a place, but if anyone has connection to a place that has a room we can use, please let me know.

if I may, I suggest a smaller group would work better. that gives more time for working with each person's written piece. if it's a smaller group, it's easily done in someone's home.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Oct 27 2015, 11:29 am
oh, also, I prefer sundays. I don't think I have two hours to spare on any weekday evening.

gp2.0

Post Tue, Oct 27 2015, 11:39 am
Would the two hours be solely about critique, or would there also be some quiet writing time? Because I need both of those.

There are libraries in Brooklyn with Sunday hours where a small group could get together too.

smilingmom

Post Tue, Oct 27 2015, 12:45 pm
I agree a group of six would also work great.

In some groups, one person reads a piece from a known author, we analyze the style and use that as a spring board to write our own piece that evening. The last hour is used as feedback to our new work.

In some groups, one person write a 3000 word piece and emails it to everyone four days before the session. The first hour is spent critiquing the work, and the second hour is spent writing on our own.

In other groups, each person brings in a piece, presents their challenges with it and the group tries to brainstorm to come up with solutions.

I am sure there are dozens of other formats, we just have to agree on what is best for us.

gp2.0

Post Tue, Oct 27 2015, 2:42 pm
These are the libraries with Sunday hours http://www.bklynlibrary.org/locations/sunday/

gp2.0

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 11:02 am
Btw I found this: http://www.meetup.com/bklyn_writers/

If we can't get our own group off the ground we can just join theirs. They meet at the central BPL Sundays at 1.

smilingmom

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 11:08 am
gp2.0 wrote:
Btw I found this: http://www.meetup.com/bklyn_writers/

If we can't get our own group off the ground we can just join theirs. They meet at the central BPL Sundays at 1.

I think it is a great idea to join this group first and if the format doesn't work for us, we can then break off into our own group.

Thanks for all the research you have done.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club