Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Fish oil

Lizajen

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 10:15 am
Is it safe to give your kids fish oil? Do you find it to be beneficial? If so, in what ways? Is it worth the price? How do you know how much to give? Thanx.

seeker

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 2:54 pm
It's safe if you buy a purified version from a reputable brand. It has good research support for supporting neurological functions. Personally I didn't see any benefit yet because I am still having a hard time getting it into them; the health store I went to recommended an orange flavored one and the taste is very strong, and my kid hates it. How much to take - to correct a deficiency you need to start with a larger dose, around 1000 mg of EPA and DHA. Then after a few months if there is improvement you can lower the dose and see what happens. There is no real danger of overdosing because whatever your body doesn't need will just pass through, though I guess within reason, you don't want to drown in the stuff.

*these are recommendations I summarized from a couple of books, websites, and a very knowledgeable (seemingly) health store worker.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics