Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Fairlawn NJ

jzmom

Post Mon, Apr 16 2012, 12:31 pm
Can anyone tell me more about this community?

Thank you.

oohlala

Post Mon, Apr 16 2012, 12:39 pm
I know a bit about it. My husband is from Fair Lawn. What do you want to know?

Tova

Post Mon, Apr 16 2012, 1:04 pm
My in-laws live there too.

The Yudins - he is the Rav of Shomrei Torah is wonderful.

Oh - and they have great Chinese!

Seriously, what can we help you with?

elf123

Post Mon, Apr 16 2012, 1:23 pm
Tova wrote:
My in-laws live there too.

The Yudins - he is the Rav of Shomrei Torah is wonderful.

Oh - and they have great Chinese!

Seriously, what can we help you with?

Don't forget the world-famous Zaidy's bakery! Their chocolate cheese danish are to die for!

jzmom

Post Mon, Apr 16 2012, 2:37 pm
We live in 5 towns and are looking to get
a) decent commute to the city
b) more home for our money
c) a down to earth, modern orthodox chevra

Does this = Fairlawn?

oohlala

Post Mon, Apr 16 2012, 2:45 pm
as far as
a) decent commute to the city
we live in washington heights and it takes about 15 to 20 min. to get over the GWB.
b) more home for our money
You probably could get a 4 bedroom house in the 300K-400K range.
c) a down to earth, modern orthodox chevra
It's def. down to earth, not fancy, and modern orthodox.
you should know that there are two parts of town... the area that's walkable to rabbi yudin's shul and the area that is too far from there. My MIL lives on the other side of town, and the nearby shuls are Young Israel, Ahavat Achim and the Sephardic Center. Please keep in mind that both Sephardic Center and Young Israel are very small. Maybe 20 people come for Shabbos Shacharit at each shul. I don't know much about Ahavat Achim...I was never there. The largest shul in Fair Lawn is Rabbi Yudin's and it has a very nice atmosphere, very warm, down to earth, not showy. So if you look for a house there and you want to be near his shul, you'll have to look for a house that's walking distance to it...

amother

Post Mon, Apr 16 2012, 3:07 pm
As long as you're happy with whichever shul you find a house near (b/c the prev. poster was right, there are 2 diff. areas) then you'll be fine. You won't have a variety of shul options like in the 5 towns. But you are right near Teaneck and everything else so you have all the schools and frum amenities from all that. It's very down to earth/out of town. It's not "fancy", it's not cliquey. I think most young couples overlook FL b/c it''s not a bustling scene in the middle of it all. If that doesn't bother you and even is a big positive for you, then you'll love it.

elf123

Post Mon, Apr 16 2012, 4:00 pm
I would also consider schools, though, not just shuls, since I assume that will play an important part in your decision. People definitely send to the Teaneck schools from there, not sure about bussing/carpooling...

amother

Post Mon, Apr 16 2012, 11:36 pm
In reference to the "Teaneck schools," yes, Fairlawn residents send their kids to the same schools as Teaneck residents. BTW, none of the elementary schools are actually in Teaneck...but in Paramus, River Edge, Englewood, etc...I don't know about Moriah since it is the farthest, but having worked/sent kids to 2 of the other schools, I believe there is busing to at least the other elementary schools.

elf123

Post Mon, Apr 16 2012, 11:56 pm
I live in the area and know where the schools are, but they are generally referred to as the "Teaneck schools," for brevity if for no other reason...imagine saying "the Paramus/River Edge/Englewood schools" every time you spoke about them!

pesek zman

Post Wed, Nov 04 2015, 12:31 pm
Would like to bump this up.

Any more (updated) information on this community.

We are looking for a low key (not 5 towns like, not Flatbush like) friendly community with fair home prices. Religiously we are 'MO machmir' (cover hair, dress modestly, husband wears black hat on Shabbos but jeans on Sunday) professionals. Teaneck and it's neighboring communities have never felt right (too cliched, too large) Does it sound like Fairlawn night be a good for? (Don't mean to offend with my characterizations but rather to mention which communities we wouldn't consider and why)

Can someone tell me a bit about the Shuls and rabbionim? Which is considered the most RW?

Any info would be helpful
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating