Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Guttman OT - Please respond if you know about them!
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Nov 30 2015, 11:26 pm
I use them for my son. With them since last December. I'm with the previous posters- they are a fortune and the program will turn your house upside down. It's extremely difficult to maintain, takes commitment, draining on you and your child, but it's not impossible.

But they are real professionals, really know their stuff. We tried everything before including ILS and traditional OT and I'm hopeful this will help. They sometimes use ILS alongside their other therapies, depends on the child.

seeker

Post Tue, Dec 01 2015, 1:52 am
amother wrote:
I use them for my son. With them since last December. I'm with the previous posters- they are a fortune and the program will turn your house upside down. It's extremely difficult to maintain, takes commitment, draining on you and your child, but it's not impossible.

But they are real professionals, really know their stuff. We tried everything before including ILS and traditional OT and I'm hopeful this will help. They sometimes use ILS alongside their other therapies, depends on the child.

So you've been with them almost a year already, what results have you seen so far? A year is long enough that there should be significant progress even if you still have a way to go.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Dec 01 2015, 9:33 am
seeker wrote:
So you've been with them almost a year already, what results have you seen so far? A year is long enough that there should be significant progress even if you still have a way to go.

They don't work like that, it's a process. My son needed deep work, they told me at least a year and a half. Right now he's at a very intensive part of the treatment, and his reactions are quite severe, so it's hard to imagine things were ever better Angry Mad

But this was anticipated and I have a lot of faith in them.

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Dec 01 2015, 10:11 am
amother wrote:
They don't work like that, it's a process. My son needed deep work, they told me at least a year and a half. Right now he's at a very intensive part of the treatment, and his reactions are quite severe, so it's hard to imagine things were ever better Angry Mad

But this was anticipated and I have a lot of faith in them.

Can you explain what they do?

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Dec 01 2015, 12:08 pm
amother wrote:
Can you explain what they do?

They can probably explain it better than I can but I'll try.
They do different physical excercises( actually they teach parents how to do it, it's done every day sometimes twice a day) which stimulate poorly developed neurological reflexes. In my sons case, he was diagnosed with adhd and aspergers, his reflexes are really immature. By strengthening those poorly developed reflexes, they are working to fix his issues with his executive functioning, anxiety, etc.

There are many great OTs who don't do such intensive work and work much faster but the results are only temporary. With the Guttman sisters, they work on the core, to provide lasting deep change. It's a rigorous program but it's worth it, IMO.

Each time they teach a new excercises, they will tell me what issue they are working on and what type of behavioral response to expect. They are never wrong in predicting how my son will react. Two months ago, my son was doing really well. Right now, my son is in a high state of anxiety, rage, and OCD but they prepared me for this response ages ago. Seeing his negative reactions helps me believe that they really know what they are doing- otherwise my son wouldn't react like this.

They are trained in many different methods, keep traveling for more research and training, and then use their knowledge to create a custom program for each child.

They are very respected and well known in their fields- they travel extensively to lecture in different collages ( Ivy League ) and to doctors.

I think the children it didn't work on was because the parents were unable to maintain the program. It is very intense and you need to know that you gave the emotional energy, time, and money to go for it. Im at a point in my life where I'm able to do it- if I would've had a newborn, or a crazy job I don't know if I would've been able to be consistent with the program- and it's the consistency that is key to success here.

Good luck!!

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Dec 01 2015, 12:26 pm
amother wrote:
They can probably explain it better than I can but I'll try.
They do different physical excercises( actually they teach parents how to do it, it's done every day sometimes twice a day) which stimulate poorly developed neurological reflexes. In my sons case, he was diagnosed with adhd and aspergers, his reflexes are really immature. By strengthening those poorly developed reflexes, they are working to fix his issues with his executive functioning, anxiety, etc.

There are many great OTs who don't do such intensive work and work much faster but the results are only temporary. With the Guttman sisters, they work on the core, to provide lasting deep change. It's a rigorous program but it's worth it, IMO.

Each time they teach a new excercises, they will tell me what issue they are working on and what type of behavioral response to expect. They are never wrong in predicting how my son will react. Two months ago, my son was doing really well. Right now, my son is in a high state of anxiety, rage, and OCD but they prepared me for this response ages ago. Seeing his negative reactions helps me believe that they really know what they are doing- otherwise my son wouldn't react like this.

They are trained in many different methods, keep traveling for more research and training, and then use their knowledge to create a custom program for each child.

They are very respected and well known in their fields- they travel extensively to lecture in different collages ( Ivy League ) and to doctors.

I think the children it didn't work on was because the parents were unable to maintain the program. It is very intense and you need to know that you gave the emotional energy, time, and money to go for it. Im at a point in my life where I'm able to do it- if I would've had a newborn, or a crazy job I don't know if I would've been able to be consistent with the program- and it's the consistency that is key to success here.

Good luck!!

What is the promised/anticipated outcome? No more adhd and asperger symptoms? Lessening of symptoms?

Please update us as his progress continues!!

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Dec 01 2015, 12:40 pm
amother wrote:
What is the promised/anticipated outcome? No more adhd and asperger symptoms? Lessening of symptoms?

Please update us as his progress continues!!

The goal is to reduce the symptoms and to teach him skills and coping methods how to function. Also quality of life. At this point, behavioral methods won't work on him- he can't absorb them. So social skills training, CBT, and other therapies are a waste of money. Believe me, we tried.

Children learn social skills by observing and interacting with other children. My son is dealing with constant fight or flight reactions which leave him stuck in his own world, which can explain his aspergers symptoms.( the guttmans don't believe in diagnosis- they claim a diagnosis is a just a bunch of symptoms caused by a deeper underlying issue. In my sons case- I beleive it, there have been times when he interacted normally with friends, demonstrating reasonable social skills)

By lessening the fight or flight response, my son will be able to learn social skills on his own- he'll be more open and aware of his surroundings.

With this kind of work, he may still have some issues later but he will be able to leArn new skills and tools to help him in life.

His executive functioning will definitely improve. His anxiety and OCD will go away and he will learn to manage them during flare ups. He may still struggle socially - be a bit" unique" but can be taught. There is no magic here. He won't magically turn into a perfect poster child. The goal is to help him be the best he can be. He's a brilliant child and can go far in his life- with his individual tafkid.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Dec 01 2015, 3:33 pm
I'm curious: your child is very involved , do you think it's worth taking a child less involved who has anxiety and low tone? Any other mothers who have taken their children there?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Dec 02 2015, 6:51 am
Anyone else?

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Dec 02 2015, 7:46 am
Can someone post their contact information?

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Dec 02 2015, 8:20 am
http://www.handsonotrehab.com/contact-us.html

That's what I found with a search

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Dec 02 2015, 8:21 am
718-621-3385

gande

Post Wed, Dec 02 2015, 12:15 pm
I do not have experience with the Guttmans and I am not making them away, but I just want to share with you my experience as a special needs mother who has tried many methods.
Alternative therapy is not proven. For every 1 person who had success there are 9 that did not. They will promise to fix your child, but to they promise to give you your money back if it doesn't work. I'm letting you know that you will turn your life upside down for a chance. They will make their theory sound 100% foolproof and force you believe in it. If they are like the private therapists that I use, they will bully you to come every day and your will have a lot of pressure to keep going and when they drop you after you invested tons of money it will be like a hot potato.
As per my experience with my child the massive amount of therapy overwhelmed her. I do however recommend that you go just for an evaluation and ask them for ideas and a program that you can do at home.
And also, people who are currently doing the therapy are not reliable references. They are invested and filled with hope at that point. You have to speak to someone who is at least 2 years past that.
You can pm me for more info.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Dec 02 2015, 12:18 pm
gande wrote:
I do not have experience with the Guttmans and I am not making them away, but I just want to share with you my experience as a special needs mother who has tried many methods.
Alternative therapy is not proven. For every 1 person who had success there are 9 that did not. They will promise to fix your child, but to they promise to give you your money back if it doesn't work. I'm letting you know that you will turn your life upside down for a chance. They will make their theory sound 100% foolproof and force you believe in it. If they are like the private therapists that I use, they will bully you to come every day and your will have a lot of pressure to keep going and when they drop you after you invested tons of money it will be like a hot potato.
As per my experience with my child the massive amount of therapy overwhelmed her. I do however recommend that you go just for an evaluation and ask them for ideas and a program that you can do at home.
And also, people who are currently doing the therapy are not reliable references. They are invested and filled with hope at that point. You have to speak to someone who is at least 2 years past that.
You can pm me for more info.

I hear you and I have tried many alternative therapies as well.
The guttmans do not do alternative therapy, they are very much clinical and respected among doctors. They also teach you a home program.

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Dec 02 2015, 7:41 pm
I worked with Freidy (Amy) Guttman professionally, and was very impressed with her knowledge in the field, as well as her pleasant personality and patience. Would recommend her...

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Dec 02 2015, 8:35 pm
Not one person can comment on how their child is post treatment??

cnc

Post Wed, Dec 02 2015, 9:20 pm
I called them and was very impressed with the way they tried to talk me into waiting and trying other (cheaper ) alternatives before investing so much money and energy into their program.
That was very mentchlich.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Dec 03 2015, 6:52 am
I would still love to hear from someone who used them and have had success. Or someone who used them and didn't??Anyone??

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Dec 03 2015, 3:46 pm
It's very interesting that no one else has posted .. I'm sure there are people out there with success stories ... Anyone?

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, Jan 15 2016, 9:54 am
bump-anyone went to them and please tell us about your experience?
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics