Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Help Me -- Please contact Tnuva!
Previous  1  2

water_bear88

Post Thu, Dec 03 2015, 7:20 am
etky wrote:
They wouldn't be adding the cheddar, they would be bringing it back.
They manufactured it for decades. I can remember buying Tnuva cheddar as far back as the eighties and I know it was available even before that. For some reason they just stopped making it pretty recently and I'm wondering why, if they're making it again for export, they can't market some locally too.
The Tnuva cheddar was always more expensive than the regular yellow cheese but not THAT much more.

Still, I assume they had their reasons for taking it off the market. Mehadrin cheese in particular- how many people who only eat mehadrin dairy would buy cheddar, and how often? I only bother with mehadrin dairy if certain relatives are visiting, so I'm not really in that market. Most of the non-Anglo Israelis I know wouldn't be particularly interested in these other cheeses, except maybe for Shavuot.

luppamom

Post Thu, Dec 03 2015, 7:24 am
I also don't really see it taking off in non-Anglo areas with a Mehardin hechsher.

You'd need to really like experimenting with different cheeses or have extra money. I can't imagine your average Israeli Charedi who has never tasted it being interested unless they made a good sale in the beginning to promote it.

I did however, write Tenuvah an email b/c I like cheddar cheese and considering they make it here and are making it Mehardin, I felt it was worth taking 2 mins. to write them an email.

m in Israel

Post Thu, Dec 03 2015, 7:25 am
water_bear88 wrote:
Still, I assume they had their reasons for taking it off the market. Mehadrin cheese in particular- how many people who only eat mehadrin dairy would buy cheddar, and how often? I only bother with mehadrin dairy if certain relatives are visiting, so I'm not really in that market. Most of the non-Anglo Israelis I know wouldn't be particularly interested in these other cheeses, except maybe for Shavuot.

Yes but the question is how much extra does it cost them to bring it to market if they are already manufacturing it. The cheese being marketed in the U.S. is Mehadrin, and it is produced in Alon Tavor together with many other cheeses that are marketed here in Israel. I admit to knowing nothing about this business -- but it would seem to me that the main extra cost would just be packaging (and of course if it doesn't sell they could theoretically lose money on the actual product). They already have distribution, etc. in place, they already have the hechsher, etc.

This whole Tnuva USA push is new -- when they took it off the market originally it could be they stopped making it. Now that they are making it for export the cost/benefit of also marketing it here is likely different.

water_bear88

Post Thu, Dec 03 2015, 7:50 am
m in Israel wrote:
Yes but the question is how much extra does it cost them to bring it to market if they are already manufacturing it. The cheese being marketed in the U.S. is Mehadrin, and it is produced in Alon Tavor together with many other cheeses that are marketed here in Israel. I admit to knowing nothing about this business -- but it would seem to me that the main extra cost would just be packaging (and of course if it doesn't sell they could theoretically lose money on the actual product). They already have distribution, etc. in place, they already have the hechsher, etc.

This whole Tnuva USA push is new -- when they took it off the market originally it could be they stopped making it. Now that they are making it for export the cost/benefit of also marketing it here is likely different.

It's entirely possible you're right. I hope your endeavor is successful!

etky

Post Thu, Dec 03 2015, 7:54 am
m in Israel wrote:

Exactly.
I think I will call too- but next week, so they don't think there's some kind of conspiracy afoot.... Very Happy
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions