Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Detriot, Michigan

amother

Post Wed, May 16 2007, 11:44 am
Anybody have any info about the community and what's there- we might move there and want to know what it is like?

amother

Post Wed, May 16 2007, 2:30 pm
I live in Detroit
its an OK community
there are a few different schools
Akiva, Beis Yaakov, Beis Menachem, Lubavitch CHeder
one big kosher grocery store
fleishig take-out, cafe, pizza store, milchig restaurant
I am happy here, have relatives here and I am comfortable
price of living is pretty low, houses range around the $200,000 give or take $50,000

amother

Post Wed, May 16 2007, 3:16 pm
I live there and I have my whole life. I like it here. I wouldnt want to live anywhere else.

southernbubby

Post Wed, May 16 2007, 4:47 pm
I have lived in Detroit for 17 years. There are loads of houses for sale here, many under $200,000. Amother above mentioned a Beis Menachem school but it closed several years ago. It is quieter here and not much night life. There are a few small kosher restaurants but it is not a big "eating out" community. There is a much lower standard of gashmius here, compared to NY. Here it is not considered nebby to wear KMart clothes.

amother

Post Wed, May 16 2007, 7:40 pm
regarding kmart clothes and nebby. it depends who you are. I am from detroit and wouldnt wear kmart clothes!

amother

Post Wed, May 16 2007, 7:51 pm
Yeah I was going to say that there's no Bais Menachem here anymore.
It's ok depending on where you're coming from.
If you're used to the New York lifestyle and busyness you may be very bored here.
There aren't a lot arestaurant choices or anything like that, but it is a pretty nice community.
We don't know anything about you though, definitely not enough to be able to tell you if you'd like it here.

southernbubby

Post Wed, May 16 2007, 7:52 pm
It probably does depend on who you are in regards to KMart clothes. In my crowd, where much of the income is spent on tuition, there is no negative stigma to shopping at KMart or Dots. I have gotten tons of compliments when wearing KMart clothes. I once was at a chassunah and saw a woman in a beautiful suit. When I complimented it she confided that it came from KMart. Even I was shocked. I have looked at fancy magazines (not really a mitzvah) where an outrageously expensive outfit had a KMart or Target shell or tee-shirt under it. A fashion maven once advised women to stock up on trendy shoes at these stores because they go out of style in a blink of an eye. Of course, this deserves a thread of its own.

amother

Post Wed, May 16 2007, 7:55 pm
Hi, it's the same amother as above here.
As far as kmart clothes it obviously depends on what you get...
What else would you like to know??

amother

Post Wed, May 16 2007, 9:18 pm
Ditto to what the others said.

There is actually a second "Yeshivish" school system here called Darchei Torah.

I would agree that there is a lower/less expensive standard of dress here than in places like Brooklyn or Lakewood.

There are a nice variety of shuls here; however there are not really any chasidim other than lubavitch. It's more of a litvish type of town. You also won't feel uncomfortable if you are a BT.

It has a reputation of being very friendly to newcomers and out-of-towners.

What else would you like to know?

amother

Post Thu, May 17 2007, 12:06 am
I was the amother who wrote Beis Menachem, I dunno why I wrote that in my mind I was meaning Darchei TOrah

amother

Post Thu, May 17 2007, 11:08 am
Hi everyone..

I am the original one who asked the questions. all your answers are great..How many frum families are there? Are there lots of young married couples? Home playgroups? I dont come from such a busy town, but we love to eat out and take it easy. Are there part time jobs working for frum ppl available?
We are still not sure about moving there...but just wanted to know if it was even something to consider.
Thanx!

amother

Post Thu, May 17 2007, 11:24 am
OP HERE AGAIN...

I just did a search and read that there is no english tought in the girls schools? Is that right?

amother

Post Thu, May 17 2007, 12:08 pm
that is not true. there is english in the schools. except cheder

southernbubby

Post Thu, May 17 2007, 5:23 pm
About 800 frum families live in Detroit. There are several playgroups and there is a woman who assists frum people with employment. pm me for her name and number.

amother

Post Thu, May 17 2007, 8:44 pm
All the schools teach English except for the Lubavitch Cheder.

Bais Yaakov/Bais Yehudah are community schools and they have a good English program. They start English in Pre1A.

Darchei Torah also teaches English from 1st grade.

I also want to mention that there is an excellent preschool here called Ganeinu. They also have a Mommy and Me program that is very popular and attracts a diverse crowd.

amother

Post Thu, May 17 2007, 8:55 pm
I think there are over a thousand frum families here actually.
They definitely teach english in the schools here.
There are many frum young couples here including myself, and many different "types" of people.
I've heard of some playgroups although I don't know much about them seeing as I don't have kids yet.
All in all it's a really decent place to live (never thought I'd say that lol)
The people are friendly, inviting and warm (for the most part).

amother

Post Thu, May 17 2007, 9:19 pm
OP here.

Thank you so much for your responses. It reallly does sound like a nice place to live! Now if it all works out well, I won't be so hesitant to move even though I dont know a soul there!

amother

Post Thu, May 17 2007, 10:22 pm
WE have heard very nice things about the frum olam in Detroit, but keep in mind two things:

the economy/job market is not very strong (like much of that area of the US, called the "rust belt") so my guess is that unless you are looking for a job in the frum velte, don't move there unless you have very strong leads on a position for yourself or your husband.

I get the impression that you are a younger family, correct. If so, keep in mind that I think that Detroit is like many litvishe communities in the US today-- not particularly young. I think that in many "out-of-town" places, the kids will get married, move to Lakewood/NY/E'Y and not neccessarily come back to Detroit. I am speaking about the litvishe crowd in various cities. Of course, I am not saying that every single person who person who grew up in Detroit will leave and never come back but there is a tendency to move away, that's all. So you should investigate if the community is really growing in terms of young people. The poor economy also contributes to this.

Hatzlacha! I have heard very nice things about the frum community there.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics