Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
How early is your earliest Shabbos?

zaq

Post Wed, Dec 16 2015, 10:31 pm
In Fairbanks, Alaska, it's 2.22 p.m!

mha3484

Post Wed, Dec 16 2015, 10:35 pm
Chicago 3:59.

greenfire

Post Wed, Dec 16 2015, 10:48 pm
last week at 4:38 pm in cleveland
4:11 pm in brooklyn

emunahmother

Post Wed, Dec 16 2015, 10:50 pm
zaq wrote:
In Fairbanks, Alaska, it's 2.22 p.m!

Oh my!

greenfire

Post Wed, Dec 16 2015, 10:57 pm
found this to be interesting

http://earthsky.org/tonight/ea.....t-day

"Why isn?t the earliest sunset on the year?s shortest day? It?s because of the discrepancy between the clock and the sun. A clock ticks off exactly 24 hours from one noon to the next. But an actual day ? as measured by the spin of the Earth, from what is called one ?solar noon? to the next ? rarely equals 24 hours exactly.

Solar noon is also called simply midday. It refers to that instant when the sun reaches its highest point for the day. In the month of December, the time period from one solar noon to the next is actually half a minute longer than 24 hours. On December 8, the sun reaches its noontime position at 11:52 a.m. local standard time. Two weeks later ? on the winter solstice ? the sun will reach its noontime position around 11:59 a.m. That?s 7 minutes later than on December 8.

The later clock time for solar noon also means a later clock time for sunrise and sunset."

twogees

Post Thu, Dec 17 2015, 12:02 am
Far Rockaway NY 4:01

yo'ma

Post Thu, Dec 17 2015, 6:34 am
5:29 We don't change the clock. The latest is 7:50 which is in a few weeks.

water_bear88

Post Thu, Dec 17 2015, 6:38 am
mha3484 wrote:

Ah, so you also accept Shabbos by Yerushlayim time! Wink

It's 3:59 here, too.

bigsis144

Post Thu, Dec 17 2015, 10:25 am
mha3484 wrote:

Represent!

busy mommy

Post Thu, Dec 17 2015, 11:12 am
we never get earlier then 5:11 or later then 7:28 miami

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, Dec 17 2015, 12:14 pm
4:10 NYC.
Growing up the earliest was 3:10 I believe.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Dec 17 2015, 3:04 pm
mha3484 wrote:

Correct, but it is worth noting that unlike most other locations, in Chicago licht bentschen is 20 minutes before shiya, not 18 minutes like the rest of the US (and most of the world).

All of the locally produced calendars are manually adjusted (from the computer generated zmanim) to account for this.

Today's rabbonim have said that this minhag goes back many, many years here and should be maintained.

nechami1

Post Thu, Dec 17 2015, 7:01 pm
3.34 here in the North of England

rainbow dash

Post Thu, Dec 17 2015, 7:12 pm
Antwerp shabbos chanukah was 1616

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Dec 17 2015, 7:14 pm
twogees wrote:
Far Rockaway NY 4:01

I was going to say that!!

morah

Post Thu, Dec 17 2015, 7:22 pm
I had a friend from South Africa visiting NY a few years ago around this time of year and she couldn't believe how early Shabbos was, and also couldn't believe when I told her how late it can be during the summer. It was something like 4:09, and apparently down there, it never gets earlier than 6-something nor later than 7-something because they're at a much less extreme latitude.

I remember reading awhile back about a frum Israeli who won a Nobel Prize and because the award ceremony was in Stockholm in December, he had plenty of time to make it because the party started at 5 and Havdalah was at like 2:30.

ez-pass

Post Thu, Dec 17 2015, 7:52 pm
4:09
Monsey

I was in vermont last week and it was 3:56!

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Dec 17 2015, 8:38 pm
Earliest Shabbat was last week, 3:36pm.
The latest time Shabbat goes out in summer is around 10:30pm. (Though most people start Shabbat by 8pm).

zaq

Post Thu, Dec 17 2015, 11:54 pm
greenfire wrote:
found this to be interesting

http://earthsky.org/tonight/ea.....t-day

"Why isn?t the earliest sunset on the year?s shortest day? It?s because of the discrepancy between the clock and the sun. A clock ticks off exactly 24 hours from one noon to the next. But an actual day ? as measured by the spin of the Earth, from what is called one ?solar noon? to the next ? rarely equals 24 hours exactly.

Solar noon is also called simply midday. It refers to that instant when the sun reaches its highest point for the day. In the month of December, the time period from one solar noon to the next is actually half a minute longer than 24 hours. On December 8, the sun reaches its noontime position at 11:52 a.m. local standard time. Two weeks later ? on the winter solstice ? the sun will reach its noontime position around 11:59 a.m. That?s 7 minutes later than on December 8.

The later clock time for solar noon also means a later clock time for sunrise and sunset."

Thank you for that. I've wondered about this ever since noticing the phenomenon some years ago. Another one of life's many mysteries cleared up!

seeker

Post Fri, Dec 18 2015, 1:56 am
All I know is that I looked at the calendar tonight and saw that it's finally getting later - 2 minutes later than last week! I'M READY!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics