Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
When to look for apartment

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 6:46 am
We are moving out of state in 3 months. Our plan is to rent first for at least a year. When is the best time to look? I don't want to pay for rent 3 months in advance but I don't want to wait till the last minute either.

mille

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 8:08 am
Call places now and see if they would let you sign a lease ASAP to start when you'd actually move. Some places will allow you to do this, especially if you put a security deposit down now. I signed a lease two months before my move-in date previously, it was no big deal. If they don't allow it, ask when the earliest they'd allow you to sign a lease would be.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Dec 20 2015, 5:06 pm
Anyone else? How long did you start looking for an apartment before you actually moved in? Are landlords okay with holding the apt for you for 2 months? (fwiw where we're moving does not have a very hot housing market, but the houses in the size and condition we want are rare.)

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, Dec 21 2015, 9:47 am
How fast do apartments go in the place you are moving to?
For example in Brooklyn apartments are really hard to come by so 3 months is plenty time to really hope you get something the day before you move.
Its not something that happens in all places.

shaimac1

Post Mon, Dec 21 2015, 12:19 pm
It all depends on where you are moving. A lot of smaller Torah Communities like ours of South Bend,IN has a few Orthodox Landlords that own multiple rental homes and would be more than willing to hold a rental property for you as long as they know when you are moving and what your employment will be once you move even without making you sign a lease. These landlords would rather wait the 2-3 months for an Orthodox tenant than to rent to a non-Jew. I hope this helps!

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Dec 22 2015, 8:38 am
The market where I'm moving to is slow but there are not that many 3 bed 2 bath available for rent.

Let's say I find something I like. Then what? Do I have to Pay rent for 3 months? They may or may not agree to hold it for that long.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating