Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Anyone here used a career counselor?

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Dec 22 2015, 6:22 pm
I called for career counseling services today, and had a good experience with the initial intake. But when I got off the phone, I thought to myself "is this one of those things where someone can really help me? Can someone help me decide, based on what I tell her about myself, what I could/should be doing with my life? Or is this something where I really know myself best and just gotta do what I gotta do, think it through long and hard, honestly, until I've come to my own decision?" if you have used a career counselor, was it helpful? Are you in the job/career they helped you attain? Are you happy? Or did you end up being able to decide by yourself in the end, and pull through? I'm sure I'll get different answers, just wondering. I'm still gonna go thru the counseling.

singleagain

Post Wed, Dec 23 2015, 9:23 am
I used a career counselor. I'm now working at a party time job which I love. I usher at a performing arts theater. Which is amazing bc I get to see so many cool and different shows. And bc of the nature of the part time, I don't have to worry abt working to close to shabbat or yom tov, I just gave to give them notice.

I'm also currently working with my job counselor to find more full time employment, and bc she totally gets the restrictions I have, she's helping me find things that are conducive to it.

All in all I'm very happy with her and am willing to share more information if you have more questions.

mha3484

Post Wed, Dec 23 2015, 11:23 am
I have used one before with mild success. I used my local Jewish Vocational Services which receives jobs and can help connect you with employers in addition to helping you clarify what you are looking for. I am acquainted with a fantastic woman in Cleveland who helps SAHM's renter the workforce. If you PM me I would be happy to connect you with her.

I have also had interviews with recruiters that have asked me if I ever have considered different related occupations to what I was doing at the time. I learned about a whole bunch of fields and subfields that I did not know about. Some where shayach for me and some not so much. I do this now as a recruiter. My boss looked at my friends resume yesterday and suggested to him that his experience fits a totally different type of position than what he was applying for. I don't see the harm in trying it out for a session or two.

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Dec 23 2015, 7:47 pm
Thanks guys. Mha, I am doing the career counseling thru my local jvs. I guess we'll see what happens!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics