Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Can this sweater be washed in the machine?

imachild

Post Thu, Jan 07 2016, 8:59 am
I bought a sweater for my son that says hand-wash only. Not a brilliant idea now that I think of it. Does anyone know if I can machine-wash it on a cold gentle cycle? It's made of cotton, viscose, nylon and 5% angora.

Butterfly

Post Mon, Jan 11 2016, 7:46 am
Being that 95% of the contents of the fabric are made of machine washable materials, I'd assume that it can be safely washed in machine on gentle and cold water and minimal spin.

Certain wool's are not recommended to be machine washed but being that only 5% of the angora is such a minimal amount I wouldn't be afraid to risk washing it in machine.

I've been machine washing sweaters that even contained 50% (and more) of wool, very successfully. Of course on gentle cycle and with cold water only.

I don't allow the machine to spin though it's entire spin cycle though.
I shut the machine when it's about halfway through or even less and then lay the sweater flat on a bath towel to dry.

The reason most manufacturers who provide labels with instructions to dry clean even though those fabrics may be safely washed in machine, is because they don't want to take the responsibility / blame, just in-case the fabric got ruined or shrank, (due to 'negligent' washing..) and they might be obligated to credit money...

myself

Post Mon, Jan 11 2016, 9:12 am
Some washing machines have a wool cycle with a hand wash symbol. Does your machine have that option?

spring13

Post Mon, Jan 11 2016, 9:26 am
Do it in cold water on a gentle cycle, and lay flat to dry.

imachild

Post Mon, Jan 11 2016, 11:08 am
I hand-washed it this time- I might try the gentle machine cycle next! Thanks.

hotmom

Post Mon, Jan 11 2016, 11:21 am
I usually (risk) washing most hand wash and dry clean clothing in a machine on gentle cycle with very few other items. I have had no issue as long as it's on gentle cycle and light amount of clothing in machine it should be OK. I make sure to take it out right away and either hang or lay flat on double layered towel to dry. So far I've b"h had no disappointment with my choices.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry