Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Can you "read" people's eyes??

Boca00

Post Mon, Jan 11 2016, 10:28 pm
U know... u always read about glints and sparks of fear in people's eyes... people's eyes shining with joy or clouded over with apprehension... or people having cold eyes or gentle eyes...
I have NEVER noticed sparks of anything or anyone's eyes twinkling or glittering IRL.
Have you?? Is this a real thing?

Stars

Post Mon, Jan 11 2016, 11:34 pm
The first thing I notice in any encounter is the other persons eyes. Yes eyes are indeed windows to the soul.

Zehava

Post Mon, Jan 11 2016, 11:54 pm
Yes definitely real. Someone can be smiling but their eyes can tell a different story. Little children have an untainted spark. I can go on. But there is so much you tell from a persons eyes.

gp2.0

Post Mon, Jan 11 2016, 11:59 pm
Those are just cliched, recycled expressions. There usually isn't ACTUAL twinkling or glittering, especially the kind written about in books. Eyes don't glitter with amusement, they don't burn with rage, etc.

I suppose eyes CAN shine with joy if the aforementioned shine is being caused by unshed tears. But for the most part these are just expressions to capture what most of us do without thinking, picking up on tiny signals that are harder to describe. There are some cliched ways to describe these too - eyes narrowing in suspicion, eyes widening in shock, etc. But many facial expressions - for example cold vs warm eyes - contain cues too subtle to express in writing, so you get verbal expressions instead. Much more interesting to read about the man with an impassive, cold stare than about the man who didn't make eye contact, tucked in his lips slightly and incrementally brought his eyebrows closer to each other.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics