Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Camp - the fancy one or the cheap one?

Moonlight

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 2:02 pm
So my 6 yr old DD is dying to go to the fancy camp in the neighborhood as opposed to the cheap one I have been sending her to since she was 3. I am tight on money - careful with every expense - and not sure if I should give this to her or not.
The fancy one literally costs double the amount of the cheap one but it happens to have great bonuses ex great swim instruction, tons of great trips. the cheap one takes one or two nerdy trips the whole summer but she has been happy there til now (doesn't know what she's missing Very Happy )
I would not have even considered it but I've asked around and all of her good friends are going to go to Fancy Camp this summer. I grew up never going to the fun camps, etc and resented it then (not anymore) so on the one hand I want to be able to make her happy. On the other hand, I am comfortable explaining to her (again) how our resources are limited and Mommy decided it is best for you to go to Camp Nerds so that we can go on family trip at the end of the summer.
If she goes to Camp Nerds, two of her younger siblings would go too. I get the sibling discount and my pick up route is so much easier when its 3 in 1.
I am very undecided... Early bird is almost over so I need to make a decision! My husband is not the decision maker in the family.
What do you think?

Delores

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 2:09 pm
First month: cheap camp
Second month: fun camp

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 2:09 pm
I had gone to both types of camps and always enjoyed the cheaper ones more!!! I got to have a completely different group of friends than my "all year round friends" and I had a wonderful time each year..I would not tell my daughter that it's "camp nerds"...I would say it's "camp of other opportunities" ...a place to shine, have ruach and set an example of what a great camper is all about. I'm afraid you are more hesitant than your DD....so look at the cheaper camp as an opportunity for her to make NEW friends, and have fun and be positive about it. Dont let her hear you discussing it with other people or you will put it into her head that it's not a good place to go.

L25

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 2:26 pm
sometimes fancy camp is "safer"- more adult supervision..., if that's not the case here and I'm assuming it's not since you've been sending her there until now I would go with cheap camp 100%.
she's six she can still have fun even if it's not fancy. Please don't call it camp nerds though LOL!

sky

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 2:39 pm
I personally like smaller 'nerdier' backyard camps. I find they get more attention because the camp is smaller. and the younger kids do more. If its a fancy camp with a large range of grades, like grades 1 - 6. The older girls do the exciting activities and the younger kids watch or do less exciting.
When you are 6 and part of the older group you get to do the exciting things, lead activities, etc.
My daughter is 6 and if it works out I'd still like to send her to a backyard style camp. I feel like she gets much more out of it then she would at a fancy larger camp.

I do plan on sending her for swimming lessons separately, but I don't think the bigger camps here teach swimming anyways.

5*Mom

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 2:52 pm
Keep in mind that once you send her to the fancy camp, she'll probably never agree to settle for the cheap camp again.

lfab

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 2:57 pm
Another vote for cheap camp. At this point she is still too young to really understand what she is missing and also to young to really appreciate the extras that the fancy camp provides. I would wait until she was older (say 8 or 9) before sending to the fancy camp. At that age she will be more aware of all her friends having done all these exciting trips and whatnot over the summer that she didn't get to participate in. And hopefully by then you will be in a better position financially and can afford the fancy price that comes along with fancy camp.
Personally, I have so far sent my kids to "cheap camp" and they always have a blast. Their little (oldest is almost 7) so they don't really know what they are missing. I feel like if I were to start sending the older ones to a fancy camp then my other kids will realize that hey what their doing isn't really that exciting and want fancy camp too (which, like you, I just can't afford). I think the attitude of the group leaders is also important. If they are really enthusiastice they can make a trip to the firestation into something very exciting and then the kids are happy. They don't really need fancy trips to have a good time. At least that's been my experience.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children