Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Is this normal behavior for a seven year old boy?

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Jan 18 2016, 5:50 pm
he has a heart of gold and seems like the type who would be very warm and mushy with mom but when I lean in for a hug or kiss he dodges me. every time!
we have bh a great relationship
on occasion he'll slip his hand in mine or sit very close to me on couch and lean his head on me, but when it happens its shocking bec he does it so infrequently.
he jokes with me that he'll give me a kiss every shabbos and on yomim tovim!
I am left wondering if this is normal because anyone I tell this to gives me pitying looks like there must be something wrong....
I also crave that close physical relationship with him... hes so yummy!
what should I do?

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Jan 18 2016, 6:03 pm
Where are all the mothers of 7yo boys? Probably doing homework, serving supper, or putting kids to bed. Or they're across the sea & went to sleep already.

Honestly my boys were 7 long ago so I'm having trouble remembering, but I know boys do get to an age where they don't want to cuddle, even if they used to be cuddlers.

And some kids just aren't cuddlers.

When he was little did he like to hug & kiss?

CPenzias

Post Mon, Jan 18 2016, 6:05 pm
It's normal! He sounds so cute

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Jan 18 2016, 8:01 pm
He is so cute bh.... Which is why I have to stop myself from begging!!!!!
Calling all mommys of seven year old boys!!!!!! Help:)

CPenzias

Post Mon, Jan 18 2016, 8:18 pm
My son is turning 10 on shabbos. He's been like that for years already. I was so sad but I know he loves me. It's his way of growing up. Wahhhh! I'm lucky if I get an "I love you too" or a kiss Wink

amother
White

Post Mon, Jan 18 2016, 8:28 pm
I have one that would cuddle up to me until he was about bar mitzvahed but no hugs or kisses!
The next one wasn't ever very mushy, but started cuddling up next to me on the couch AFTER his Bar Mitzvah.
Current 7 year old gets plenty of hugs and kisses and mushes. But he was also my baby for a few years. Doesn't reach out for the mush but definitely accepts it!
All types.....

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Jan 18 2016, 8:41 pm
Each child is different .

I have one boy who was independent and aloof at 7-9. Now at 19 he is very mushy and clingy

Another boy was constantly jumping on me at 6/7, very demanding of attention , very affectionate. At 17, he calls like once a month, mostly to ask my husband questions for school

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Jan 18 2016, 8:42 pm
I don't have seven yr old boys, but I was like this as a kid. What should you do? Don't force it, don't make him feel bad. Don't push. Just accept that some people are less touchy feely.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Jan 18 2016, 9:46 pm
Thanks for making me feel better.
I'm gonna stop trying to hug and kiss him since he doesn't like it. Instead I'll focus on spending 1:1 time which he would like. Then maybe I'll b able to quietly slip my arm around him without him noticing that he's getting mushy with mommy;)

I barely got touched affectionately as a child so this is important for me.

gold21

Post Mon, Jan 18 2016, 10:00 pm
If my 7 yr old boy can sit still long enough for me to kiss and hug him, he is totally fine with it. But hes always on the move so its not like we cuddle all the time. Lol! Wink
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics