Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
What terrible things happen....

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 1:15 am
when 5 year old boys shower? I think I have reached the end of my rope. Almost every shower or bath is a fight to get him in. Sometimes I have to pick him up and physically dump him in.
This was a vent! Mad

anonymous so as not to ruin future shiduchim....

greenfire

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 1:38 am
get him some kool bath toy - my kids had a fishing rod that had fish you can catch

http://www.toysrus.com/product.....rc=rv

salt

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 1:48 am
Don't bath him every day. Especially if it's winter where you live. Believe me nothing terrible will happen, if you don't.

Even bath him just once a week, just before shabbos - tell him that this might have to change when the weather gets warmer, or you might need to make an exception if he gets porridge stuck in his hiar, but for now you understand that for some reason he doesn't like showering so you're not going to push him.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 2:07 am
I don't bathe him every day, and in truth he usually is fine once we start. It seems to be more the idea of a shower/bath that sets him off.
In the summer we can do toys and that often helps, but in the winter it is too cold. My bathroom has no heating.

chani8

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 3:12 am
Ask him, at a time when he is happy and communicative, what is it about baths that he doesn't like. Maybe you can fix the problem. Maybe he would be open to Greenfire's toy idea.

Salt is right, limit baths, for sure. You can teach him to wash with wipies.

Also, perhaps he would enjoy more attention during bath time. Do you sit with him and talk to him while he's bathing? My kids are way more amiable to do things 'with me' than alone. Showering can be boring or even scary.

The goal should always be, empathy first (understand his POV), and then work toward solutions.

mary6

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 4:04 am
It's not only little boys. Also little girls, I fight every night to get my daughter in the bath and I won't skip a day cause it just gets harder the next day.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 5:41 am
Colored soap "crayons". They can write on the shower walls, and it washes right off. You can find them on Amazon.

climbing613

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 5:44 am
Is it worse now? Maybe too cold. Put in a space heater if you're sitting with him

heidi

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 7:58 am
OP, I have bad news for you. Big boys hate to shower too.
I cannot count the amount of times I have had to explain to my 13 year old why he needs to shower. Then when he gets out it's the "did you remember to use soap AND shampoo" discussion.
The only advice I can give is to have a set routine. If your child knows that Monday, Weds. and Friday are shower days and that at 7pm he has to get in (or whatever) maybe it will help.
Good Luck!

gallie657

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 10:22 am
Special toys for the bath. We have Scuffy the Tugboat and a pirate ship so he can sail Menchies and bring people, food and supplies to the large, floating sponge that serves as an island.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 10:29 am
Maybe hes to cold. Do u have a heater you can turn on and/or put a nice fluffy towel in to the drier to warm up for him when he get out? Ask him directly why he doesnt like it. He might have a different perspective about showering that you can help him work out.

Maya

Post Thu, Jan 28 2016, 10:31 am
In addition to the toys mentioned here, I make a bubble bath. I use a formula that also has cleaning agents so they get cleaned as they're soaking in it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers