Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Do u wear tights in the summer
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

DrMom

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 11:58 pm
Never. Skirts and sandals all summer long.

(I'm originally from thr Tri-State area, so I hope it's okay that I answered. I live in E"Y now.)

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 12:46 am
These days, I find that I overheat easily and don't handle summer weather well. That being the case, I will rarely wear stockings or tights in hot weather. I would prefer to wear stockings, I do think it's more modest. but when it's really hot, it's just not happening!

This summer was unusally hot & humid where I lived and I really struggled with tzniut this year. Esp with covering my hair and elbows in the heat. I was just miserable and cranky anytime I had to step outside. Extreme heat just disagrees with me.

Rose816

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 5:21 am
I personally wear stockings/tights/cover my legs year round. My stockings aren't crazy thick (not sure about the density), but they also don't rip super easily. If I'm wearing a long skirt, then I reach for socks. I think my stockings are the brand "Leggs" either Sheer Control or Sheer Envy. I don't overheat wearing them either, they're very breathable. I'm a huge fan of them Smile

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 7:13 am
40 dinear stockings all year long. I live in Fl. warm all year. Supposably, so cold the past couple of days. At home I'll wear a long skirt or robe no stockings and crocs. Never short with knee highs the elastic around my knee pinch me too much.

finallyamommy

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 8:24 am
70-80 denier tights year-round. Tznius rules don't change with the weather.

pesek zman

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 8:28 am
esheschayil wrote:

No familiar with these numbers. Do they speak to the opacity? Is higher more opaque?

I wear tights and stockings year round......is it possible that the brands that I wear (mainstream drugstore and department store brands) don't use these numbers as classification? Is it a 'Jewish store' brand thing?

Super curious

finallyamommy

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 8:37 am
pesek zman wrote:
No familiar with these numbers. Do they speak to the opacity? Is higher more opaque?

I wear tights and stockings year round......is it possible that the brands that I wear (mainstream drugstore and department store brands) don't use these numbers as classification? Is it a 'Jewish store' brand thing?

Super curious

Higher is more opaque, yeah. Thin sheer stockings are I think generally 15-20, chareidim in EY as far as I know wear at least 40, and 70 is considered "opaque" as far as I know. And it might be a Jewish thing, I don't know, I wasn't either familiar with deniers until I moved to EY Wink

pesek zman

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 8:45 am
esheschayil wrote:
Higher is more opaque, yeah. Thin sheer stockings are I think generally 15-20, chareidim in EY as far as I know wear at least 40, and 70 is considered "opaque" as far as I know. And it might be a Jewish thing, I don't know, I wasn't either familiar with deniers until I moved to EY Wink

Got it. I live in US

Brownies

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 8:51 am
esheschayil wrote:

It's not a Jewish thing, in the UK at least that's how they label tights in all the shops - Marks & Spencer etc. Not sure about the rest of Europe. I won't answer the OP's question as I don't and never have lived in the tri-state area!

sky

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 8:53 am
With short skirts - 30 denier stockings.
with long skirts, socks that go until at least mid calf, but I still have to be careful with sitting and getting in and out of car.

pesek zman

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 9:13 am
Brownies wrote:
It's not a Jewish thing, in the UK at least that's how they label tights in all the shops - Marks & Spencer etc. Not sure about the rest of Europe. I won't answer the OP's question as I don't and never have lived in the tri-state area!

I've never bought tights in Europe or Israel, which may explain why I don't know this terminology

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 9:37 am
esheschayil wrote:
70-80 denier tights year-round. Tznius rules don't change with the

weather.

Neither do self-righteous tirades

sky

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 10:14 am
pesek zman wrote:
I've never bought tights in Europe or Israel, which may explain why I don't know this terminology

Many American brands specify it. Also the thicker the denier the harder they are to rip (supposedly, I haven't necessarily found this to be true).

http://www.amazon.com/Berkshir.....6JEJM
It lists the denier for berskshire stockings as 30.

some brands don't specify on the packaging.

saw50st8

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 10:24 am
esheschayil wrote:

That's correct. I don't wear tights in any weather, unless it's a fancy wedding or I'm giving a big presentation, because it's not halachically required.

amother
White

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 10:29 am
I like the 40 thickness not cuz of tzniyos only - mainly because they tear less

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 10:34 am
Blue Rose, I think it's 30 denier. They're only $1.99 and for some crazy reason, they don't rip so easily. I wear them for every day during the summer, something more expensive for Shabbos, weddings.

BayMom

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 11:16 am
gold21 wrote:
No.
Nude pantyhose are so expensive because they rip so easily and I need to replace them after almost every wear.
Do u know how much I would need to spend each summer season on pantyhose if I wore hose daily? If a tznius organization would like to sponsor my summer pantyhose bill, then no problem. Otherwise, no.
So as to fit the right-wing model of how a woman should dress, I wear long skirts with bare legs or short skirts with leggings, so my legs are not showing. And best part is that my feet are free to breathe properly. Its so much healthier. BH.

Leggings won't let other body parts breath. Might be more important than your toes breathing.

BrachaBatya

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 11:31 am
No, I don't wear them!

gold21

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 11:50 am
BayMom wrote:
Leggings won't let other body parts breath. Might be more important than your toes breathing.

Really? What makes you say that? Theyre cotton. Breathable.

Which body parts do u refer to as more important? Or was that just a random statement?

(I cant believe ive spent so much time on a thread about pantyhose and the pros and cons of my feet breathing. Sigh. #ImamotherLife)

Last edited by gold21 on Wed, Feb 10 2016, 11:53 am; edited 2 times in total

greenfire

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 11:52 am
don't wear tights in the winter either
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics