Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Would you use this meatloaf? Timeline inside

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 10:51 pm
Timeline:

Tuesday, 10:30ish a.m.: I remembered I didn't take out anything to defrost for lunch, so I called DH and asked him to take out 2 packs of ground meat (one beef, one either chicken or turkey) and put them into cold water to defrost.

Tuesday, 12:30 p.m.: I got home and saw that the meat was still frozen solid. The water was icy and some of the meat was not in the water. All of it was still frozen. I changed the water to less cold water (but not warm by any means).

Tuesday, 1:15 pm.: Since most if it was still frozen solid, I gave up on making meatballs for lunch and decided to make meat pizza instead since it uses much less meat. I scraped off the soft part of the meat from around the edges to sprinkle in the pizza. The rest was still too hard to work with, though there may have been a little more around the edges that was soft - not sure.

Tuesday, 1:30 p.m.: Put the rest of the meat (still frozen) into a bowl and put it in the fridge. Promptly forgot about it.

Thursday, 5:20 a.m.: Saw the meat and realized if I don't use it right away, I can kiss it goodbye. It was completely defrosted by now, so I threw together a meatloaf and had it in the oven by 5:35 a.m. It's still in there now.

Would you use this? My first thought was that since it had been in the fridge for more than 24 hours, I should chuck it, but then I realized that what I had put in the fridge was still frozen, so in essence it had defrosted in the fridge over about a day and a half, which should be fine.

Thoughts?

greenfire

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 11:13 pm
eat it & enjoy [I thought you were going to say it was out for a week]

Lukshen

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 11:27 pm
It should be ok.

As far as I know, defrosted meat should last in the fridge for two days. (Obviously, if it was fresh when frozen and defrosted right.)

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 11:49 pm
Thanks! Going to send some with DS for lunch today. Smile

etky

Post Thu, Feb 11 2016, 12:26 am
I don't see a problem either.
I'm curious though why you didn't just defrost the remaining frozen lump in the microwave - assuming you have one, so that you could make the meatballs.

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Feb 11 2016, 2:01 am
etky wrote:
I don't see a problem either.
I'm curious though why you didn't just defrost the remaining frozen lump in the microwave - assuming you have one, so that you could make the meatballs.

While I have done that at times, I prefer not to defrost in the microwave - I'm not crazy over the results.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics