Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Your ADHD child vs. the needs of your other kids

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Feb 14 2016, 8:09 am
What do you do when you are trying to give some attention to one of your other children, and your ADHD child keeps interrupting incessantly (using his loudest, most irritating voice), then the daughter you were giving attention to (a preteen) explodes in an equally irritating voice about how unfair it is (which is true) and if her brother can behave that way then so can she (er, not quite)?
Do you resign and run away to Hawaii?

imasinger

Post Sun, Feb 14 2016, 8:41 am
Only if you take me with you.

Sigh. Story of my life.

You have to have some system in place for ADHD kid (and for the rest). If he regularly refuses to listen, look up parenting classes for high needs kids, and/or read "The Nurtured Heart Approach."

You need to be able to say, "Until the timer beeps (no more than 10 minutes), you may not come in here. I need to talk to DD now."

To DD, say, "I have 10 mnutes now, and we can talk further tonight after DS is in bed."

If DS breaks the rule, brief time out, then try again.

I think that if DD sees that you are managing the situation, she will probably stop the snide comments, but if not, you can just ask her if she thinks that is helpng the situation.

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Feb 14 2016, 8:54 am
imasinger wrote:
You have to have some system in place for ADHD kid (and for the rest). If he regularly refuses to listen, look up parenting classes for high needs kids, and/or read "The Nurtured Heart Approach."

This is what I need!! I've been looking for some kind of parenting course geared to the unique needs of the severely ADHD child (and his disgruntled siblings). Are there any? I'm in Lakewood but maybe I could do by phone or online.

imasinger

Post Sun, Feb 14 2016, 9:49 am
Check the Lakewood papers for info on REACH (they advertise pretty often) and also see if you can find info about Dina Freedman.

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Feb 14 2016, 9:54 am
imasinger wrote:
Check the Lakewood papers for info on REACH (they advertise pretty often) and also see if you can find info about Dina Freedman.

I was under the impression that Dina Friedman gives general parenting classes. Does she give specialized courses for kids like mine?

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Feb 14 2016, 10:06 am
amother wrote:
I was under the impression that Dina Friedman gives general parenting classes. Does she give specialized courses for kids like mine?

Dr. Koslowitz does this - she has specific parenting classes about the challenging children who don't fall into the generalized parenting class model. She calls it Targeted Parenting - and her class for ADHD kids is The Highly Reactive Child. 12 weeks of specific techniques on how to balance parenting this type of child with your other kids. You're right - you need a more specific class.

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Feb 14 2016, 10:34 am
amother wrote:
Dr. Koslowitz does this - she has specific parenting classes about the challenging children who don't fall into the generalized parenting class model. She calls it Targeted Parenting - and her class for ADHD kids is The Highly Reactive Child. 12 weeks of specific techniques on how to balance parenting this type of child with your other kids. You're right - you need a more specific class.

Thank you
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)