Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
What color tablecloth do you use for shabbos and yom tov?
Previous  1  2

cm

Post Wed, Feb 17 2016, 11:31 pm
Bed bath and beyond

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 12:13 am
We just eat off the floor to protest the intensity that goes into this

By many women I know , you would think its brain surgery...

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 12:32 am
If you need an unusual size or color, try here:
https://www.brightsettings.com......html
I bought a deep blue damask tablecloth from them after many years of various tablecloths that just didn't look right with my Pesach dishes; it's gorgeous and it's the right size!

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 1:33 am
We switch off between several white tablecloths, though we do have one beige one that occasionally DH will put on the table. I prefer white bot go with the flow.

The first time we made Pesach, MIL bought us a gold tablecloth. She called me from the store when she found it and said, "I know it's not white, but it's very yomtovdik." We used it for the seder, but it didn't feel right not having white, even though it was quite pretty. We bought a new white one during Chol Hamoed and made the gold one our Chol Hamoed tablecloth.

I'm sure it's something about personality and/or how you were raised, but I seem to do best with white. Smile

Iymnok

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 3:41 am
I like my white one with a lace cutout in the middle. I put a floral one underneath.
We have a beautiful cream colored one that washes well and never wrinkles. It looks better with the dishes.
My dishes are elegant traditional, platinum color, so they look good with most things.
I like napkins to bring life to the table. Folded right they give depth too. I don't have cloth that I like so for now we're using paper.

My question to you all is if you use plastic on top. I'd rather wash a load of tablecloths than use plastic. Also replace them every few years when the stains are too much.

I use the old stained ones on the kitchen table where I do the food prep.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 3:46 am
A shiny black and white animal print one. I love that it is not just white. And we have another one that I love that is grey with different designs on it in black and white.

(anon because if you have been to my home, you would know this right away)

Iymnok

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 3:50 am
A friend got some crushed velvet from a fabric store. It looks really classy and is really cheap. Adding lace or a fringe around the edge would give a more finished look. You can get nearly any color, so matching the China and couch shouldn't be a problem.

etky

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 3:53 am
Iymnok wrote:
I like my white one with a lace cutout in the middle. I put a floral one underneath.
We have a beautiful cream colored one that washes well and never wrinkles. It looks better with the dishes.
My dishes are elegant traditional, platinum color, so they look good with most things.
I like napkins to bring life to the table. Folded right they give depth too. I don't have cloth that I like so for now we're using paper.

My question to you all is if you use plastic on top. I'd rather wash a load of tablecloths than use plastic. Also replace them every few years when the stains are too much.

I use the old stained ones on the kitchen table where I do the food prep.

Totally. I hate the feel of plastic. Then again I don't have the type of tablecloths that need special care and ironing. Mine are all the kind you can just throw in the wash and they come out clean and wrinkle-free (if you take them out as soon as they are dried).
I use white on Friday night. I didn't grow up with that tradition but it just seems so Shabbosdik - like the white shirts that the men wear lichvod Shabbat.
For Shabbat lunch though I use any color I want. I decide on a color scheme based on which dishes I'm putting out and the color of the flowers that DH bought for Shabbat.

cm

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 6:26 am
Yuck, I can't stand plastic tablecloth covers. Microfiber table cloths launder beautifully.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 8:26 am
Ivory tablecloth, ivory china.
BUT! burgundy napkins, which match the burgundy of the fabric on the chairs, which matches the burgundy of the drapes, which matches the burgundy of the challah cover.

Yes, I went there

Anon because... yeah, way too easy to know that it's me

suzyq

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 10:02 am
Green because I think white is a little boring and the green matches my china.

bigsis144

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 11:22 am
Pale goldish with a texture like raw silk but it's the kind of polyester that liquid beads on rather than soaking into the fabric.

http://www.amazon.com/Benson-M.....cloth

I used to have white, but the stains showed more. I get more months of use out of a non-white one with a subtle pattern/texture before it too becomes irreversibly stained (yay kids!).

Our Shabbos dishes are blue, gold and ivory, so it matches very nicely.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 1:48 pm
I have a beautiful table and don't always cover it. I had no idea it was a shaila before some online were extremely hurt by the idea (???). I asked the shaila and the rav said no prob.
If I cover it, any beautiful one.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note