Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Relocating in a area that is mostly not Jewish

hisweety

Post Tue, Feb 23 2016, 1:50 pm
I am looking into relocating to a nearby area that is not very Jewish yet.

Can anyone help me? What would be some helpful tips to know? And what would be the best way to find out who the neighbors are? I assume you dont just walk up to a nearby house and start a conversation with a random person . How does this thing work?

I checked with the school district, my kids will have transportation and my husband will have a shul on shabbos.

I wanna do it but I wanna feel confident doing it. Any experience, please share! TIA

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Feb 23 2016, 2:45 pm
Following

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Feb 23 2016, 3:13 pm
The key is nearby to what? If you are very close to a major Jewish community, that's a lot easier than having to drive 2 hours to a butcher. But if you or anyone in the family needs to have 5 close friends on the block, maybe not.

hisweety

Post Tue, Feb 23 2016, 4:00 pm
amother wrote:
The key is nearby to what? If you are very close to a major Jewish community, that's a lot easier than having to drive 2 hours to a butcher. But if you or anyone in the family needs to have 5 close friends on the block, maybe not.

Shopping is not an issue either, I have kosher shopping 15-20 min away... It's the same state but dif city...

My concern is more about the neighbors on the block, what if they are anti-Semitic? Or something like that... How can I find that out before the move?

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Feb 23 2016, 4:46 pm
You have no way of knowing if there aren't people that you can ask.
I moved to a block with no yidden and I didn't know until I was here what neighbors will be like. I didn't buy right away until I felt more confident that it was a match for us. We have to walk to friends on shabbos but it's ok.
I don't know my neighbors well but we BH haven't had issues.

Ruchel

Post Sat, Feb 27 2016, 4:17 pm
You never know whichneighbour is noisy or not nice or crazy, even among Jews.
You can definitely introduce yourself and see, but it means nothing.

westchestermom

Post Sat, Feb 27 2016, 8:18 pm
Who cares if someone is anti-Semitic? Bigots are everywhere, you just live your life it doesn't matter what nonsense people think in their own home. It's illegal for anyone to show it in the neighborhood.

finprof

Post Sat, Feb 27 2016, 9:08 pm
People are people, just talk to them! Even though we live in the Eruv we are the only Frum Jews around us (closest are about 4 (suburban) blocks away). We meet some neighbors when we moved in ( they stopped by to introduce themselves), some at the park, and some out walking the dog.

imasinger

Post Sat, Feb 27 2016, 9:15 pm
People generally welcome new neighbors. They may bring food, or say hi when they see you outside. The more you smile and express an interest in them, the more they will think kindly of you.

Even anti semites have been known to say,"some of my best friends are Jewish."

IMO, being open to connection is a huge kiddush hashem. (Even if you can't eat the cookies they send over to say welcome.) And these days, what with allergies and vegetarians, nobody bats an eye at special dietary constraints.

hisweety

Post Sat, Feb 27 2016, 10:26 pm
Thank you so much everyone for your advice and opinions! It is very encouraging to hear it from real ppl rather than my instincts...
Now let's say a prayer that I get the house of my dreams!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating