Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Rich Caramel Cheesecake- how does this sound?

Mevater

Post Mon, May 14 2007, 1:54 pm
Rich Caramel Cheesecake
Crust:

4 T. melted butter
1 1/2 C. graham cracker crumbs

Caramel:
1 C. sugar
1/4 C. water
1/2 C. whipping cream

Cheesecake:
4 packages (8 oz. each) cream cheese, softened
1 C. packed brown sugar
1/2 C. granulated sugar
1 T. vanilla
1/4 t. salt
4 large eggs, at room temperature

For the crust:
Combine butter and crumbs, mixing well with a fork. Press into the bottom of a 10-inch springform pan.

For the caramel:
Combine sugar and water in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir well. Cover with a lid and cook until sugar turns a medium amber color, about 3 1/2 minutes after mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat and stir 30 seconds. Slowly stir in cream, being careful to avoid spatters. Set aside.

For the cheesecake:
Beat cream cheese and both sugars at medium speed of an electric mixer until soft and fluffy. Add vanilla and salt. Add eggs one at a time, beating on lowest speed of mixer just until incorporated.

Pour two-thirds of batter over crust. Beat caramel mixture into remaining batter. Pour caramel batter over plain batter in pan and swirl mixtures with a rubber spatula.

Bake at 350°F. for about 50 minutes, or until edges are firm but middle still wiggles. Remove from oven and cool. Chill. Decorate with caramel panes just before serving.

Esther01

Post Mon, May 14 2007, 2:28 pm
your making me HUNGRY!

sounds delicious!

Mevater

Post Mon, May 14 2007, 2:51 pm
Would I be able to use sour cream if I don't want to use artificial gobbledygook "whipping cream" for the caramel?

redhot

Post Mon, May 14 2007, 2:53 pm
letsbehonest wrote:
Would I be able to use sour cream if I don't want to use artificial gobbledygook "whipping cream" for the caramel?

I would think you should use dairy heavy whipping cream rather than rich whip or sour cream.

Mevater

Post Mon, May 14 2007, 2:54 pm
sthillmom wrote:
letsbehonest wrote:

I would think you should use dairy heavy whipping cream rather than rich whip or sour cream.
Is there a Chalav Yisroel product like that?

greenfire

Post Mon, May 14 2007, 2:59 pm
letsbehonest wrote:
sthillmom wrote:
letsbehonest wrote:

there actually is ... especially around shavuos time ...

redhot

Post Mon, May 14 2007, 6:39 pm
letsbehonest wrote:
sthillmom wrote:
letsbehonest wrote:

I see it in the fridge section of the grocery store. It comes in a small plastic container (similar to the chocolate milk bottles). I am pretty sure new square makes it (and golden flow etc).

It may also come in a paper carton.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, May 14 2007, 6:48 pm
It's usually in a cardboard milk-type carton.

redhot

Post Mon, May 14 2007, 7:07 pm
DefyGravity wrote:

the cholov yisroel brands in ny sell it in a small plastic bottle. In baltimore its sold the other way.

redhot

Post Wed, May 16 2007, 2:58 pm
sthillmom wrote:
DefyGravity wrote:

the cholov yisroel brands in ny sell it in a small plastic bottle. In baltimore its sold the other way.

I WAS WRONG! I went shopping today and I saw the whipping cream (dairy) in TWO stores in the cardboard containers. SORRY!!

Dini

Post Wed, May 30 2007, 10:53 pm
did anyone actually make this cheese cake, how did it come out and by the way New square makes the cream in a plastic bottle & golden flow in the carton

yoyosma

Post Wed, May 30 2007, 11:04 pm
Yup, I was coming to say the same thing Dini did.
My local store still has a bunch of New Square plastic bottles left over from Shavuos.

Boys"R"Us

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 1:51 am
I made it!

I didn't eat it though Sad
I'm trying to lose weight...

But my son loved it!
(The only one who would try it)

Thanks for the recipe Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus