Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
How to cope with anxiety over childs allergies

amother
Green

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 7:28 pm
My child has severe food allergies recently I tried a new food that was ok'd by the doctor, my child had a reaction and I ended up having to call hatzolah it was their first severe reaction BH their throat didn't close but it was very scary I'm so nervous all the time now and can't relax any tips?

yogabird

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 8:11 pm
Is this child in school? He should walk around with an epipen and a medical alert bracelet. Does he qualify for a shadow?

sotired3

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 9:22 pm
How old is the child? My ds is almost 4 and he knows what he's allergic to, and will tell people who try to give him something that he's allergic to. Can you count on your child doing that? If he/she is in school, give the teacher an exact list of what he can and cannot have and encourage her to call you with questions. I told the teacher I'd rather she call me 20 times for nothing than mess up once. How common are the foods that he's severly allergic to? If it's an uncommon food, that's better. Bh your son didn't stop breathing, which is major. For your nerves, I'd tell you to stick to the "tried and true" foods for a while, there's no rush to try new things. And let everyone that comes in contact with your child know what he's allergic to.

gold21

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 9:59 pm
What was the reaction- how severe- and how was it treated by hatzala? How was it dealt with in the ER?

Do u have a good relationship with the allergist- do u trust him/her?

There should be an epipen at home, an epipen in your pocketbook, and an epipen in the classroom (if the child attends school).

Information is power. The more informed u feel, the more empowered u will feel.

HUGS. The PTSD reaction after a traumatic hatzala call is real.

penguin

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 10:01 pm
See if there's a support group in your area for mothers of allergic children. You'll feel better when talking to others in the same boat.

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 10:56 pm
I'm in the same boat. Hug
My child recently had a severe reaction and I had to give him an epipen before I called hatzolah. His reactions escalated slowly with each reaction being worse than the one before. It scares the hell out of me. What is helping me a bit right now is not thinking about the future or the long run but only focusing on each day separate. And the hope that he outgrows it, please God. But there is no guarantee that he will....and that when I start thinking about his whole life ahead gaaaaahhhh

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 11:50 pm
Unfortunately all I can offer is sympathy. My kids' allergies also are a major anxiety trigger for me. After a while you kind of get used to having it in the background of your life, but it will never stop being scary - especially knowing that the next reaction could be worse than the last. I arm myself with as much info as I can, stay as vigilant as possible, and had my children tested for all the common allergens - I know it's not completely accurate but it's all we can do to be prepared.

But allergies are scary. My kid had hives the other day, benadryl took care of them, but I must have stayed up about half the night just watching her breathe. I don't know what G-d was thinking giving allergic kids to a parent with anxiety issues!

for little kids with multiple, severe food allergies I have heard of parents doing the first trial of new foods under guidance and observation in the doctor's office... not sure how much that helps but maybe something to consider if it's that bad.

gold21

Post Sun, Nov 22 2015, 11:58 pm
seeker wrote:

But allergies are scary. My kid had hives the other day, benadryl took care of them, but I must have stayed up about half the night just watching her breathe. I don't know what G-d was thinking giving allergic kids to a parent with anxiety issues!

Sounds familiar

The anxiety is tough to cope with

raqsmama

Post Mon, Mar 07 2016, 2:46 pm
My ten year old dd who has had allergies since birth was just diagnosed with new allergies (after a reaction and Hatzalah ride to the ER). She is now scared to eat ANYTHING, unless she eats it in front of me first. She would rather not eat than have another reaction.

seeker

Post Mon, Mar 07 2016, 7:46 pm
Oh no! Poor baby. I would also be scared. Was it a food she used to be fine with?

raqsmama

Post Mon, Mar 07 2016, 8:12 pm
In addition to all nuts, and all fruit, she is now allergic to soy, milk and eggs. She's tiny compared to her classmates. She is terrified to eat. We are taking her to a nutrionist to help her make healthy food choices. Any other suggestions?

seeker

Post Mon, Mar 07 2016, 8:46 pm
ALL fruit???

raqsmama

Post Mon, Mar 07 2016, 8:51 pm
All raw fruit "tickle" her tongue, throat and lips. She now refuses to eat them cooked too.

seeker

Post Mon, Mar 07 2016, 9:04 pm
Was that tested by the allergist as an actual allergy? Because fruits can tickle just from sensitivity. Though in a person with severe allergies in general I can see why that would be scary.

Cooking changes the protein structures, since proteins are what trigger allergies there are a bunch of allergies that only react to raw food. I know people who are allergic to raw but not cooked eggs, peas, various vegetables.

anonymrs

Post Mon, Mar 07 2016, 9:18 pm
I know this post was from a while ago, but I don't get it. What does it mean 'tried a new food that was ok'd by doctor'? Is this something the child was previously known to be allergic to?

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Mar 07 2016, 9:37 pm
raqsmama wrote:
All raw fruit "tickle" her tongue, throat and lips. She now refuses to eat them cooked too.

I'm the same way with most fruit. It could be oral allergy syndrome. Does she have severe seasonal allergies?

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Mar 07 2016, 9:46 pm
Has anyone tried kinesthesiology or energy healing for allergies? I know people who had success as well as people who have been helped with the GAPS diet.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Mar 08 2016, 12:37 am
mommy2b2c wrote:
I'm the same way with most fruit. It could be oral allergy syndrome. Does she have severe seasonal allergies?

Sounds like my DD. She has terrible seasonal allergies in both the spring and the fall and she's sensitive to apples, pears, and all stone fruit. She also has developed an aversion to eating those fruits cooked even if they don't cause a reaction.

raqsmama

Post Tue, Mar 08 2016, 10:19 am
My daughter does have seasonal allergies as well.
We are taking her to a nutritionist tonight.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics