Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
MM for Students - advice needed

amother
Cyan

Post Sat, Mar 19 2016, 10:46 pm
Please advise:

1. What should be in MM for students?

2. What is a good time to be available for students?

3. What percentage come to the house?

I live and teach in town. My students started telling me last week they are coming to my house on Purim. I wasn't anticipating this. DH says I should invite each one in to make a brocha, and I should have juice and something homemade for them to make the brocha on.

I hate to waste food, so a guess as to the percentage would be helpful. Also, what should be included. I normally do very elaborate MM, but I would like to keep this simpler.

seeker

Post Sat, Mar 19 2016, 11:14 pm
I wouldn't start with MM for students. The ones who couldn't come will feel bad. You give them a warm greeting, thank them for what they gave you, gush over their costumes, and send them off feeling great that they got to see their teacher on Purim.

What time doesn't matter as long as you tell them in advance. They will be sad if they show up and you're not there, whatever time it is. So if they're young then send a note home and if they're older just tell them, you will be available to them on Purim from [time] to [time]. If someone comes outside that time and you happen to be home then by all means open the door if it works for you, but at least there's some mutual expectation so you can each be ready for each other.

I also disagree about having something homemade. for us it's allergy reasons but there are various reasons why people prefer to have a package to see where things come from. If you really want to give something to kids who come then it can be a lollipop or something.

amother
Cyan

Post Sat, Mar 19 2016, 11:23 pm
Do you give them money ?

belovedaz

Post Sat, Mar 19 2016, 11:36 pm
In bp most teachers do give mm. Whoever x make it over u give in school after Purim. The timing is usually from 12-2 or in that range. Give something cute based on the age. X have to be major. Can connect to one of ur lessons or just be reg nosh

seeker

Post Sat, Mar 19 2016, 11:36 pm
No. You don't need to give them anything, just a good feeling.

But to be on the safe side, talk to other teachers in your school to see if there's a norm. If everyone else gives their students something then I don't know how they would react if you don't (but I'll bet the kids who don't come will like it better this way... they can't help it if they live too far or their parents won't bring them. How old are your students?)

seeker

Post Sat, Mar 19 2016, 11:40 pm
Well that makes sense if you're going to give everyone else the day after. Still seems like an awful lot of extra work and expense for teachers that is totally unnecessary but I guess when in Rome do as the Romans do. But absolutely don't give something only to people who come to your house.

amother
Cyan

Post Sat, Mar 19 2016, 11:58 pm
seeker wrote:
No. You don't need to give them anything, just a good feeling.

But to be on the safe side, talk to other teachers in your school to see if there's a norm. If everyone else gives their students something then I don't know how they would react if you don't (but I'll bet the kids who don't come will like it better this way... they can't help it if they live too far or their parents won't bring them. How old are your students?)

My kids usually get something when ever go to their teachers houses, but I don't pay attention. I went in once to say FP to a favorite teacher and she had a big display of candy for the kids to take their own. My students would not keep to the limits, so I would be setting them up for a reprimand if I did that.

m+m

Post Sun, Mar 20 2016, 1:59 am
I think it's nice for kids to get MM from their Morah (at least at a young age) a little pekalah with 1-2 nosh and chips.
Set a time so the kids can see you and not just be told you're not home.
Whichever kids couldn't come on Purim give them their pekalah the next school day so they don't feel left out.

groisamomma

Post Sun, Mar 20 2016, 2:04 am
All my kids' teachers give something and the times we couldn't make it they came home with it the day after purim. Chips with a candy is enough, they don't need anything elaborate.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Mar 20 2016, 2:24 am
Easy, cute, and cheap idea is to tape together 2 things to make a gragger. For example, a little box of Mike n ikes and a laffy taffy rope.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Mar 20 2016, 5:08 am
Just have a bunch of treats available for them. Two attached together with a bow and a tag from you.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Mar 20 2016, 7:59 am
Iymnok wrote:
Just have a bunch of treats available for them. Two attached together with a bow and a tag from you.

Do most teachers give the next day? Purim is such a crazy time, and keeping track of who gives becomes another job. If I bring a box in and let the students help themselves, them they complain that someone got two. It becomes distracting. My students are complainers. Honestly, I rather not have the headache.

Should I just label them?

Iymnok

Post Sun, Mar 20 2016, 8:06 am
That sounds good. My kids teachers have given them one candy or other treat, not just a small taffy. One teacher gave cheap bracelets, as in not food. I liked that better since it lasts a little longer and reminded her of her teacher whenever she wore it.

Simple1

Post Sun, Mar 20 2016, 8:25 am
All teachers where I am give something. Kids are shlepping through traffic to come, it's good to reciprocate and exciting for the kids.

It can be very simple and small. But if you're creative you can make it cute and fun for the kids. Some things teachers have done - color themes; themes matching your teaching subject with corresponding poem; cute container. Or just a plain simple mm is fine too.

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Mar 20 2016, 10:03 am
How old are your students? What grade and what gender? Advice would be different for different answers.

In the past, DD's teachers have done different things. One year the teacher made m"m that looked like a milkshake with a straw, but they were really made of nosh. Another year the teacher just had trays of hamentashen and the girls were each allowed to take two.

I know someone who rents a popcorn machine and just gives out fresh popcorn to everyone who shows up. I know someone else who has a chocolate fountain and puts out marshmallows on skewers and pretzel rods and fruit for people to dip. That can get messy though.

If you have older students, such as bochurim who will be coming to sing/dance, then make sure to have some nonalcoholic drinks on hand.

Check with your colleagues as to what the norm in your school is. You probably don't want to do any more or less than the children are used to.

fleetwood

Post Sun, Mar 20 2016, 10:07 am
When my daughter was in kindergarten, her teacher gave each girl who came an ice cream cone. She gave everyone a small pekala the next day.

boysrus

Post Sun, Mar 20 2016, 10:12 am
I make one small MM for each student adn label them. That way, I can see who didnt come to my house easily. Then I will take those remaining MMs into school after Purim and slip them into the desks of those girls who I didnt give to yet.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Mar 20 2016, 10:57 am
fleetwood wrote:
When my daughter was in kindergarten, her teacher gave each girl who came an ice cream cone. She gave everyone a small pekala the next day.

OP here:

I like this idea because I don't want problems from the students who don't get on Monday. They will be upset and crying that it is not fair.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics