Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Please share your best tips/tricks for staying organized

SV

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 8:28 am
I work full time and have a bunch of young children. I desperately need help to get my act together. I do basics (laundry, cooking, some cleaning etc) but I feel like I am never on top of things. Would love to hear some easy tricks you've come up with.

I'll start - I have a double hamper - one side is white and other is dark blue. So laundry gets sorted into dark/white as it goes into the hamper. Sounds simple, but definitely a time-saver.

Rebesq

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 8:39 am
Oh me too please! In a perpetual state of disarray.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 9:25 am
I close my eyes, and the mess disappears Very Happy

Ok, Clorox wipes. They give me a huge headache, but my kids like using them, so they wipe down things when I can't get to real cleaning.
Back when I used to bathe my kids, I'd do the bathroom at the same time. But these days, my husband is in charge of that, so that tip no longer works for me.

I think what will help is if I take a picture of my house. You'll feel good.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 9:27 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

I'll have to try that some time.
I wiggle my nose.

LiLIsraeli

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 9:30 am
I'm the same as you, work lots of hours with a few little kids, only occasional cleaning help. My house is never "clean" but I do attempt to keep the floors clear, the clothes washed, and the dishes clean.

One of the best things that make laundry so much easier is sock holders. I don't use them often enough (and it's hard to get the kids and husband to use them too) but for me, whenever I take off socks I put them straight into one of these. They get washed and dried together which saves a huge amount of time trying to pair up socks.

http://www.amazon.com/24-SockL.....undry

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 9:39 am
Ok, more thinking of what has worked for us.
I got a case of 6 smaller baskets. I use one for each child (not the baby who is in my room) when sorting out the laundry.
I have 4 baskets for transport to/from the laundry area, and they must be emptied to do more. So when a room's laundry comes back clean (magic! No, really, my husband brings it up) -- and yes, do it by room to save on sorting! -- I just throw the clothing in the basket of the kid it belongs to. The laundry may or may not be put away (incentivize the kids), but it's NOT on the floor, and it is easy to pick out clothing from vs one big messy heap of everyone's stuff.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 9:42 am
Get floor cleaners the kids can use. As in a broom (melissa and doug has a cute small sized one that my 2 yo used, well, until his older brothers repurposed the stick which is no longer), a mop: we have a spray one that my 4 yo+ uses and a steam one that my 10 yo uses, and a vacuum: we have one light enough that almost all my kids can help somewhat with the vacuuming. You can use a dust buster too.

I actually have never used my steam mop (I had a different one in our previous home that I did use) -- my kids use it exclusively. If I have to actually mop because of gross stickiness, I use the spray one as it's faster, if not as thorough.

SV

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 9:42 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

Ok, Clorox wipes. They give me a huge headache, but my kids like using them, so they wipe down things when I can't get to real cleaning.
Back when I used to bathe my kids, I'd do the bathroom at the same time. But these days, my husband is in charge of that, so that tip no longer works for me.

I think what will help is if I take a picture of my house. You'll feel good.

Very Happy

My house is far from ideal but when things get past a certain point I literally can't function. I get anxiety attacks if things are piled up or on the floor etc. So while your trick is temping, I am afraid it won't work for me Wink

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 9:45 am
I won't take a picture of my house, then. You'll have a major anxiety attack!

My real issue is the kids' stuff. The cut up papers that they don't clean up, the balls all over, etc. If the floor was clean, it would be very tempting for me to clean it, but I hate picking up the mess.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 9:48 am
Also, have guests. Somehow, the house manages to get somewhat clean, usually. Either by you or a family member.
Unless, it's the type of guests whom you know will get jealous of your spic 'n span house, so you purposely leave it in its natural state so they won't feel anxiety about theirs Tongue Out

SV

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 9:49 am
I totally know what you mean about cut up papers and balls, LOL.

I often have my older boys (10 and 8) clean their room and they do a decent job. But a day or two later it's basically back to being a mess.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics