Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Special Education in/near Rockland County

Teacher_EW

Post Mon, Mar 28 2016, 8:49 pm
I am currently a special education teacher in NYC, yet I am hoping to relocate to Rockland County in the near future. I work primarily with the learning disabled population, not students with autism or other cognitive impairments. I was wondering if there are any schools in or around Rockland County that deal with students like that. Maybe something like "Shefa" in Manhattan or Ohr HaLimud in Brooklyn?

If anyone knows of any schools like this, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking for a job for the upcoming school year, yet I don't know where to start...

Maya

Post Mon, Mar 28 2016, 8:52 pm
There is a school called The Skill Building Center. You can try there.

Teacher_EW

Post Mon, Mar 28 2016, 10:25 pm
Thank you, Maya! I will check it out!

thanks

Post Mon, Mar 28 2016, 11:06 pm
How about Ohr V'daas and Gan Ezra?
Also Elmwood public school in Monsey has some special ed classes staffed with frum teachers and assistance. The Kiyras Yoel public school is about 30 minutes from Monsey.

seeker

Post Mon, Mar 28 2016, 11:50 pm
Off topic but where/what is this shefa in Manhattan? Never heard of it and I thought I pretty much knew all the schools in NYC, especially the special ones

Teacher_EW

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 9:02 pm
Seeker,
https://www.shefaschool.org/Pages/Welcome
The Shefa School is located at 180 Amsterdam Avenue in New York City. It is a Jewish Day School for children with language based Learning disabilities.

Thanks,
I will look into your recommendations.

Teacher_EW

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 9:05 pm
thanks wrote:
How about Ohr V'daas and Gan Ezra?
Also Elmwood public school in Monsey has some special ed classes staffed with frum teachers and assistance. The Kiyras Yoel public school is about 30 minutes from Monsey.

Both Ohr V'daas and Gan Ezra are for children with congnitive impairments or intellectual disabilities. I specifically want to work with children who have either learning disabilities, language processing disorders, or other difficulties with learning specifically.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Mar 30 2016, 12:11 am
Bais Hachinuch maybe?

Teacher_EW

Post Wed, Mar 30 2016, 8:08 pm
amother wrote:
Bais Hachinuch maybe?

Thank you, that looks really interesting! It looks like an all boys school, though. Do they have female staff members? I don't mind working with boys, but I know that a lot of school for boys only want male teachers.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics