Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Cheap, decent vacuum cleaner?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 6:35 pm
My vacuum cleaner just died, and I think it's for real this time. Of course I'm very behind in my Pesach cleaning, although I wasn't getting nervous until now. Of course, money is very tight right now.

Does anyone know of a decent, cheap vacuum cleaner? I don't like bagless, and I really prefer a canister, but at this point I will have to buy whatever I can afford that works. Please help. I'm feeling a little desperate right now.

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 6:51 pm
Buy in costco so u can return when it breaks. Only way I ever buy....on my 7th one within a year and a half.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 6:59 pm
amother wrote:
Buy in costco so u can return when it breaks. Only way I ever buy....on my 7th one within a year and a half.

I hate doing things like that. Besides, I have my vacuum cleaner for at least 5 years, probably more. I think it cost under $300. It sounds like the ones you're buying are real junk. But I just don't have that kind of money right now, especially before Pesach when there are so many other expenses.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 7:03 pm
Two other important points. I have a lot of carpet in my house. I don't want to order something online. I want to go out to Walmart or Target or Kohls tonight and buy something.

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 7:05 pm
[quote="amother"]I hate doing things like that. Besides, I have my vacuum cleaner for at least 5 years, probably more. I think it cost under $300. It sounds like the ones you're buying are real junk. But I just don't have that kind of money right now, especially before Pesach when there are so many other expenses.[/quote
I bought the,shark brand for abt 100. It's actually the only thing I ever return there.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 7:15 pm
What is your budget? I have a Shark Navigator Lift Away that is generally around $150 with a 5 yr warranty, bagless, lightweight...my 10 yo just used it to vacuum out our van for Pesach, it's great for kids to use as well. The Lift Away feature lets it become like a canister but you can get it without that feature for cheaper. The next line up is the Rotator but I tried it out in Costco and it weighs a lot more.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 7:25 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
What is your budget? I have a Shark Navigator Lift Away that is generally around $150 with a 5 yr warranty, bagless, lightweight...my 10 yo just used it to vacuum out our van for Pesach, it's great for kids to use as well. The Lift Away feature lets it become like a canister but you can get it without that feature for cheaper. The next line up is the Rotator but I tried it out in Costco and it weighs a lot more.

Thanks. I just checked it out. It seems to me that when it's a canister it doesn't have wheels and roll on it's own like a true canister vacuum cleaner. Is that right? That's what I really want, a canister that rolls.

I can't pay more than $150. I would love to pay $75-100, but it doesn't seem like there's anything worth buying in that range. I'm checking out the Walmart and Target websites right now.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 7:43 pm
I had the Hoover Preferred Windtunnel bagged canister vacuum for 10 years. Paid about $175 and really enjoyed it. Unfortunately the comparable canister vacuums by Hoover today are closer to $300.
I'm also looking for a replacement vacuum.

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 7:52 pm
I have the upright Shark Navigator Liftaway Pro. I think I paid around $160 (I got a 20% off coupon from bed bath and beyond). I only have it a few months but really like it so far.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 8:27 pm
It does not roll when lifted up, but it's SO lightweight, that it's not really an issue. Meaning, the times I want to use it like a canister, I don't even feel like I need the wheels (steps, car, etc). For regular flooring, nothing wrong with it being used as an upright.

mommyla

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 8:35 pm
I have the Shark Rotator Lift Away, which comes with a wheeled attachment to put the vacuum on while you're using it as a canister. It's lightweight and cleans really well, and it has a long cord which I love. I'm very happy with it.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 9:08 pm
mommyla wrote:
I have the Shark Rotator Lift Away, which comes with a wheeled attachment to put the vacuum on while you're using it as a canister. It's lightweight and cleans really well, and it has a long cord which I love. I'm very happy with it.

Thanks, it looks very interesting, but I can't afford it Sad . I just found a Kenmore canister, with a bag on Sears website for $130. It has pretty good reviews. I think I will go with that, problem is that there's no really close Sears. I'm going to try to get my husband to go there tomorrow.

Dh likes to do a lot of research before buying such things. He doesn't understand why I'm in such a rush to buy a new one, why don't I just borrow one for now. Like anyone will lend me their vacuum cleaner 2 weeks before Pesach Rolling Eyes

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 9:18 pm
I don't know about carpets because my I don't have it but when my electrolux gave out, I borrowed my construction site worker dh's shopvac. I used my electrolux attachments with it and they fit very well. it worked better than the electrolux. the downside is, it's huge but target seems to have smaller ones, such as this one: http://www.target.com/p/shopva.....m_1_8

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 11:25 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks, it looks very interesting, but I can't afford it Sad . I just found a Kenmore canister, with a bag on Sears website for $130. It has pretty good reviews. I think I will go with that, problem is that there's no really close Sears. I'm going to try to get my husband to go there tomorrow.

Dh likes to do a lot of research before buying such things. He doesn't understand why I'm in such a rush to buy a new one, why don't I just borrow one for now. Like anyone will lend me their vacuum cleaner 2 weeks before Pesach Rolling Eyes

Did you check that there is one in the store that he can easily pick up? Not everything online is available in all stores.
If you have Amazon Prime you can usually do a next day option for a few dollars more.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 11:28 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Did you check that there is one in the store that he can easily pick up? Not everything online is available in all stores.
If you have Amazon Prime you can usually do a next day option for a few dollars more.

Yes, I checked, thanks. Don't have Amazon Prime.

mommyla

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 11:57 pm
amother wrote:

Sorry Sad it was definitely cheaper when I bought mine. Don't remember how much exactly. Good luck!

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 9:52 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks, it looks very interesting, but I can't afford it Sad . I just found a Kenmore canister, with a bag on Sears website for $130. It has pretty good reviews. I think I will go with that....:

Hi op. Was following your thread Bc in similar situation with budget and needs. Can you let me know if you are happy with the one you got. And of
You have the time it's specs. ( otherwise I'll just look
For kenmore for 130$)
I appreciate it and hope you are happy with it for your sake too.
Thanks
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry