Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Filo dough recipe

myname1

Post Thu, Apr 07 2016, 12:30 am
I accidentally bought filo instead of puff pastry. They're the thin sheets. Does anyone have a recipe for a nice side for Shabbos, preferably parve and with mushrooms, but open to other options. Thanks!

Iymnok

Post Thu, Apr 07 2016, 12:50 am
Real burekas!
Make your filling. (Fried mushrooms and onions, a little nashed potato as a filler)
Take 3 sheets of fills dough. Cut them into 2" wide strips. Put a spoonful of filling on one end. Using a pastry brush, paint the other end with oil. Fold the bottom corner over the filling, rolling it up in a triangle- like a table football (http://m.wikihow.com/Make-a-Paper-Football) paint a little oil on top. Then bake.
These take some time, but are delicious!

Another option is to take a few sheets spread your filling across one side covering 1/3 to1/2 then roll it uplike a deli roll, lie each slice on its side, oil if you want, then bake.
You can also do a diet deli roll like this. Fills dough has no oil in it.

myname1

Post Thu, Apr 07 2016, 1:51 am
Iymnok wrote:
Real burekas!
Make your filling. (Fried mushrooms and onions, a little nashed potato as a filler)
Take 3 sheets of fills dough. Cut them into 2" wide strips. Put a spoonful of filling on one end. Using a pastry brush, paint the other end with oil. Fold the bottom corner over the filling, rolling it up in a triangle- like a table football (http://m.wikihow.com/Make-a-Paper-Football) paint a little oil on top. Then bake.
These take some time, but are delicious!

Another option is to take a few sheets spread your filling across one side covering 1/3 to1/2 then roll it uplike a deli roll, lie each slice on its side, oil if you want, then bake.
You can also do a diet deli roll like this. Fills dough has no oil in it.

Thank you! Sounds really delicious! When you layer 3 sheets, do you put oil in between? Or water? Or nothing? If I'm looking for slightly less time/work, but similar effect, can I just put 3 sheets in a tray, potato/onion/mushroom filling on top, another 3 sheets over that? And then could I continue with more filling and then dough until it's used up? Again, would I put oil between layers of dough? Thanks again!

Iymnok

Post Thu, Apr 07 2016, 2:14 am
myname1 wrote:
Thank you! Sounds really delicious! When you layer 3 sheets, do you put oil in between? Or water? Or nothing? If I'm looking for slightly less time/work, but similar effect, can I just put 3 sheets in a tray, potato/onion/mushroom filling on top, another 3 sheets over that? And then could I continue with more filling and then dough until it's used up? Again, would I put oil between layers of dough? Thanks again!

Putting oil in between makes it crispy. It's fine with nothing, water would make them stick together, like thicker dough.
What you suggest sounds good, oil is probably a good idea. The middle layers would likely get soft/mushy.
I'd prefer a roll though. After its cooked it doesn't cut well. It cracks and crumbles.
You can also press some squares into muffin trays, add the filling then fold the corners together. Spray on the oil after or paint it on first.
Mini muffin size is easy and looks really fancy.

Keep the unused dough covered and cold.

myname1

Post Thu, Apr 07 2016, 6:01 am
Iymnok wrote:
Putting oil in between makes it crispy. It's fine with nothing, water would make them stick together, like thicker dough.
What you suggest sounds good, oil is probably a good idea. The middle layers would likely get soft/mushy.
I'd prefer a roll though. After its cooked it doesn't cut well. It cracks and crumbles.
You can also press some squares into muffin trays, add the filling then fold the corners together. Spray on the oil after or paint it on first.
Mini muffin size is easy and looks really fancy.

Keep the unused dough covered and cold.

Thanks! I'll give it a try and iy"H report back.

myname1

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 8:06 am
I did layers, filo, filling, filo, filling, filo, sesames on top. The filo also ended up coming up along the sides of the dish. Looks nice and seems to hold together pretty well, and was delicious from what I tasted. Thanks again!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes