Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Need raise

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 5:31 pm
I'm a secretary at a school and earned very little this year . I want to continue the job but I need a significant raise . I don't know if they would give it to me . What do you think I should do? What if they say no ?

HonesttoGod

Post Sat, Apr 09 2016, 11:25 pm
If you feel that you are worthy of a raise then ask.
You cannot just say to them "I earn very little" they want to see proof that you are deserving of a raise.
Print out a list of your responsibilities. How have they changed since you started, what have you taken on, what do you do above and beyond your job description, what are you willing to take on if tehy give you a raise?

Even with all that they may just say no. In which case you can ask when can we re approach this?
Or ask why they feel you are not deserving of one and what can you do to receive one.

I totally hear you though, My boss claims he will give me a raise when I assume a new job title however he does not realize that a: I already do all the work in that new job title + more and b: I am one person doing the work of 3 people and none of that was originally my job description. He knows I deserve a raise he told me that he just has to re organize the office to give it to me and it sucks since it has been 4 months of constant hard work and I am loosing focus and initiative to try harder. I do hope you get it though - lots of luck!

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 1:21 pm
Do your research, and prepare to argue for the case why you deserve a raise. Are you underpaid relative to other people doing similar jobs in your city? Are you doing more hours or more responsibilities compared when you started?

Do you have any 'supporting evidence' to make an easier case to ask for a raise? Some thing you improved or took an initiative, maybe some disasters you were able to prevent, something you've improved, that kind of things. Any positive feedback from other staff, parents etc?

The worst thing that can happen is for your boss to say no. Don't just take that and ask for reasons--is it school budget, or is there specific targets that you should be aiming for, or something they are not happy with you?

If the budget is an issue, are there other things you can ask for 'in lieu of money'? Like an extra day off, shorter hour one day a week, some training, perks, even a letter of recognition of your excellent work?

Good luck!

kollel wife

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 1:35 pm
I agree with what was said above -
do your research etc, but also be short, sweet and to the point - you can memorize in advance what you want to say.

Just don't say a long megillah, don't say that you're thinking of leaving. Just say I'd like to discuss with you the possibility of a raise. ....

DrMom

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 2:52 pm
In parallel to all the advice given above, quietly look around for a similar job. If you can get more elsewhere, consider leaving, or using it as leverage for salary negotiation for your current position.

nywife

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 6:51 pm
Im addition to what the other posters recommended, I would be realistic about what you're expecting to be paid. Is it parallel to the average going rate for secretaries? If it is, and that is still not enough, then perhaps it's a good idea to research other career options.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 8:02 pm
It's very little compared to others but it's a great envoirnment and enjoyable job and I would hate to leave.. But absolutely can't stay with the amount I'm getting
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics