Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Is this a ripoff?

miami85

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 9:47 pm
My watch needs a new battery, local place charges $10 to replace the battery. DH think its a ripoff. Is it? We don't have any jewelry stores closeby.

cnc

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 9:49 pm
That sounds pretty standard

lucky14

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 9:54 pm
Might be a ripoff, but I think that's what most places charge.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 11:25 pm
it's standard, but it's so easy to change one yourself. buy a battery and learn how to do it.

miami85

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 6:54 pm
Problem is that the nearest pharmacy charges almost $7 for the battery. Online you can get 5 for the same price--but I don't need 5. To get cheaper would be $3 but would take who-knows-how-long for free shipping. Not sure what to do. I do want my watch back.

Also some watches need the special press and we don't have that.

cm

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 7:32 pm
Does not sound like a ripoff. It is rare to find any service that costs less than $10. Remember, this includes parts and labor.

If changing the battery requires special tools, go ahead and spend the $10. Watches require batteries so rarely IME that it isn't worth buying equipment to do it yourself.

If your watch battery can be easily changed without special equipment, learn how and save the money if you want to.

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 8:34 pm
Honestly, If I were you, I'd pay the 10 dollars and be done with it. I used to be like you, calculating every penny... But then I realized that time and energy is worth money as well, so now I try my best to find reasonable prices, but don't waste time and energy on these little things.
Think of the amount of time you spent researching the topic and you'll see that it's not worth the few dollars you'll ultimately save. Just my humble opinion...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics