Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
Yom Hashoa

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 10:05 am
A relative of mine wrote this. He is affected by this until today. What do you think about it?

Quote:
Why Did the Holocaust Happen?

Contrary to common belief, the murder of Jews in Nazi concentration camps was not initiated only by the Germans. Unfortunately, one of the first Jews murdered inside a concentration camp was a Jewish baby, just born, and murdered by Jewish hands.

My parents Z"L who lived in Poland, were among the first Jews taken by the Germans into forced-labor concentration camps in Germany. My mother was pregnant at the time. My brother, whom I never knew, was born in the camp and was immediately taken away from my mother by other Jewish women who shared living quarters with her. These women decided that to save themselves from the German guards, they needed to get rid of the baby. So they did. Some babies born in concentration camps, and their mothers, did survive the holocaust, but, my older brother did not. He was sent to heaven by very Frum, yet ill educated, Jewish women.

And God, who heard my mother crying, watched from above and made six million copies of their verdict...

Where were all the other women who were there, what did they do to save the baby? Where were all the Rabbis of the generation who were responsible for education, what did they do to prevent the murder of the baby? Those very Frum women were great experts in the mechanical details of Jewish religious life. But, they had no respect for somebody else's life.

All Rabbis are well educated and ordained in the laws between man and God. How many Rabbis do we know who were tested, when ordained, on the laws of education or the laws between man and fellow man? How much time do our children spend in Yeshiva learning how to treat others with respect, compared to all the other subjects?

My uncle and his little son, who were in the men's section of the same camp, heard what happened, and brought my mother blankets and extra food. My mother, my uncle, and my young cousin merited to survive the holocaust and tell the family what happened. My father, who was in a different camp did not know what happened until after the war. He also merited to survive. But, my older brother did not. He was sent to heaven by very Frum, yet ill educated, Jewish hands.

My parents were among the very few couples who were married before the holocaust, went separately through this hell-on-earth, and later found each other and reunited. They survived to tell their story and to leave a message to the educators of future generations.

My parents heard many holocaust survivors ask "Why?????? How could God do it to us??????"

Others did not have an answer, but my parents did:
"It was not God who did it to us. We did it to ourselves, with our own hands."

grace413

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 10:36 am
I can't fathom the experiences people went through in the Shoah. I can't understand how people survived, I can't understand how they went on.

This is obviously a very sad story. Desperate people do desperate things. The survival instinct is very strong and I can only imagine that these women felt the infant would bring about many deaths. Not saying if they were correct or not, that's not for me to judge.

I cannot agree with the conclusion that we brought the Holocaust upon ourselves. I also certainly don't understand why Hashem had this happen and can only say that Hashem makes plans that we do not understand.

Have Jewish people done bad things to each other throughout history? Definitely. Are we far from perfect? Of course. I don't think this means we caused the Shoah.

Your relative is not alone in still suffering after so many years. May Hashem grant him menuchas nefesh.

leah233

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 10:59 am
Under the circumstances I'm unclear not letting the baby live was the wrong thing to do. The baby would have been killed anyhow.There was an additional fear that having the baby found would present a life or death danger to the parents and others. Why is it so clear the baby should be kept alive?

There is a lot of resentment towards the Juderats and Kapos for their behavior. A lot of it may be theoretically legitimate but I don't think anyone can judge them under the circumstances.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 11:06 am
leah233 wrote:
Under the circumstances I'm unclear not letting the baby live was the wrong thing to do. The baby would have been killed anyhow.There was an additional fear that having the baby found would present a life or death danger to the parents and others. Why is it so clear the baby should be kept alive?

There is a lot of resentment towards the Juderats and Kapos for their behavior. A lot of it may be theoretically legitimate but I don't think anyone can judge them under the circumstances.

Agreed. And I am child of a child survivor or the Holocaust. Until you are in their shoes, how do you know what you'd do?

heidi

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 11:46 am
A + B does not always equal C. It was an unfathomable time, it was not something that I think any of our generation can even wrap their minds around. How dare the author presume to blame Jews for the holocaust!
Has anyone heard of Dr. Gisella Perl? She was considered a hero.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days