Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Quartzite

Rebesq

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 5:19 pm
Does anyone have quartzite in their kitchen? Not Quartz! I'm curious about your staining or etching issues. Looking into grey/white quartzite.

queen76

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 6:53 pm
I have it.
No staining, but definite etching.
I knew about it b/f. Loved loved loved it, so went ahead with it.
Acids are what causes etching. Bought a few cutting boards & trivets & try to be careful.

prepared

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 7:02 pm
Me!!! Love love!!! Did a ton of research and basically since quartzite is a natural stone , it's qualities depends on the type of quartzite. I have white macaubas (sometimes called whire quartzite as well ) and Bh so far no etching or staining... I have it for a year. Bh very happy and its beauty is beyond

OOTBubby

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 7:06 pm
I just installed 2 different quartzites in my kitchen in my new home (to be complete in around 3 weeks אי"ה). I spoke at length with stone yards and fabricators and they all told me that these stones will not stain or etch. It is harder than granite. The issue is that you must make sure that you are really getting quartzite as some yards label other stones (mainly marble) as quartzite and those are much softer and will stain or etch. My counters are absolutely gorgeous. I hope to have pictures to post next week.

Rebesq

Post Sat, May 07 2016, 9:13 pm
queen76 wrote:
I have it.
No staining, but definite etching.
I knew about it b/f. Loved loved loved it, so went ahead with it.
Acids are what causes etching. Bought a few cutting boards & trivets & try to be careful.

do you still love it even with the etching? Can you post a pic?

OOTBubby

Post Sat, May 07 2016, 10:46 pm
Rebesq wrote:
do you still love it even with the etching? Can you post a pic?

If there is etching than it isn't quartzite (which is even harder than granite) but rather a softer stone (probably marble) sold as quartzite. I've researched this a lot and that seems to be the unanimous conclusion and seems to be quite common unless you can really trust the stone yard.

Rebesq

Post Sat, May 07 2016, 10:49 pm
So I've heard. I'm using either imperial or all granite (ny/no - not sure if youre really OOT or it's a screen nsne) Both have good reputations but still nervous. I just love absolute white. Which is light grey

Last edited by Rebesq on Sat, May 07 2016, 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

OOTBubby

Post Sat, May 07 2016, 10:51 pm
Rebesq wrote:
So I've heard. I'm using either imperial or all granite (ny/nh - not sure if yoyre really OOT or it's a screen nsne) Both have good reputations but still nervous. I just love absolute white. Which is light grey

I am really out of town - Chicago. I did research stone yards here, but don't know anything about place elsewhere. One warning sign though is that if their price for their "quartzite" is too good (like the same as granite, not more) than it probably isn't real quartzite. I was told that you can also ask for a piece to test, but the yards I dealt with would only give a sample piece that didn't necessarily come from the same slab batch I was considering.

Rebesq

Post Sat, May 07 2016, 10:55 pm
Thank you for the info!!

OOTBubby

Post Sat, May 07 2016, 11:56 pm
Rebesq wrote:
Thank you for the info!!

Also -- one point to add (whatever material you choose). Make sure to see the full slab that you are actually purchasing, not just a small sample and not just an example of the color -- the actual slab you would be purchasing as there can be significant variance from one slab to another.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen