Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby Rubbing Herself Constantly...

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 2:05 pm
Help! My 1 yr old (13 month old to be exact) has started a terrible habit of rubbing her groin area into the floor. She used to just loved being bounced up and down on my leg, but now she's starting doing it whenever she's sitting down. It's like her normal position- legs spread out. I'm so uncomfortable, and yes, ashamed, when people see her doing it.

She doesn't have thrush, I think she just likes the sensation of it. What can I do to stop her? I'm so embarrassed, she literally does it all day every day... embarrassed

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 2:09 pm
Have you had her checked for pinworms?

Even if she's fine, she's not doing anything wrong. She's a baby! My DD absolutely loved the 5 point harness on her car seat. We just ignored her, and she stopped on her own.

Dandelion1

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 2:19 pm
I would check for pinworm as well, just to be safe.... Could just be the sensation, but sometimes that behavior indicates pinworm ....

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 2:21 pm
Would there be any other signs if it were pinworms?

It's not just a habit that I can ignore. She literally does it all the time, I give her a toy to play with and I'll come back one minute later and see her doing it. It's all day every day. And I hate it! Won't it only get worse if I ignore it? I'm thinking of putting 2 or 3 diapers or her, just for a while, to see if that helps minimize the sensation...

gp2.0

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 2:30 pm
While its normal for kids of all ages to do this sometimes, doing it all day every day seems highly unusual to me. I think this is a question for a pediatrician to investigate and rule out anything that could be causing itching or discomfort in that area. Does she have any kind of rash or redness? Does she wake up crying at night if previously she didn't? Do you live in a warm climate? Does she have a yeast infection or pinworms? Maybe a UTI?

Kids that age don't have the attention span to focus on one thing for so long over and over, so to me it really seems like she's experiencing some kind of discomfort in the area that she's trying to soothe.

Eta: also possible - some kind of allergy. Also, don't put two or three pampers on her until you rule out all the above, as the increased warmth and decreased ventilation will make many problems worse.

sweetpotato

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 2:39 pm
It's hard to tell what you are describing. Do you mean she just likes to sit with her legs splayed out? That seems pretty normal at that age, for balance. Or do you mean she does a repetitive motion over and over motion, all day long? If it's the latter, and it's gone on for awhile, I might begin to become concerned--simply because she's doing a repetitive motion, not because it's any particular movement.

Does she crawl, move around otherwise? Or she only sits?

But of course, you should check if there's any physical reason (discomfort, infection) why she might be trying to put pressure on that area.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics