Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Shul definition help... Open orthodox?
Previous  1  2

amother
Mint

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 10:24 am
Carmen Luna wrote:
In the times of the Chasam Sofer this is exactly how the reform movement began. They started with slight changes to the accepted Orthodox minhagim (Im not even talking about the blatant disregard that the OO movement has for Halacha, I.e. women singing, women leading, omitting parts of the davening) and all the Tzaddikim of yesteryear fought them vehemently, seeing the danger of such a movement with their holy vision as a slippery slope to complete assimilation R"L. Thats when in the mid 1800's, the disciples of the Chasam Sofer felt the need to declare the "Upteilung" (Total separation) from the Mischadhsim as they were called in those times, based on their revered Rebbe's ruling that "Chodosh Ossur Min Hatorah" (Anything modernized in Judaism is strictly forbidden from the Torah) They put together a list of standards that must be upheld, to be considered orthodox and chas veshalom not get confused and affiliate with the Neolog community. 2 small examples are, one may not get married in a Shul (as the Neologs brought that custom from the Christians who marry in a church) or one may not go into a shul where the bimah is not in the center of the shul (again, think, altar in a church). Basically, tzaddikim always saw right threw the motives of these thinly veiled changes to yiddishkeit and realized its all the nuances in authentic Judaism that keeps us from assimilating for the last 2,000 years.. Unfortunately, all the Neolog communities eventually ended up totally secular...
OPEN ORTHODOXY IS NOTHING MORE THAN A NEW CONSERVATIVE MOVEMENT..

I specifically asked for a civil no bashing thread. I am not desiring to debate OO. Just was curious what it is and how it will show up in shul visibly (vs a hashkafic discussion). I am not OO but it might be necessary for various reasons to attend that shul. At least Friday night.

And thank you to everyone who posted meaningful contributions. I think we might take a look/ask around more..

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 2:40 pm
Exactly because being Open Orthodoxy, there are different styles/policies and actual practices across across all which claims as Open Orthodox. Being Orthodox, there will be a mechitza (though of varying height, material, many congregations remove/lower mechitza for dvar Torah and announcements). OO miniyanim generally counts only men for miniyan, generally tend to have more women actively participating in the service (varying from women given drasha, to more partnership miniyan like setting where women lein and get aliyot). There are definitely a lot more focus to be inclusive to part of Jewish communities previously marginalised.

Open Orthodoxy (and Modern Orthodoxy to some degree) depends on different rabbinical opinions re: kol isha. They go extra miles explaining to members halachic reasons and psaks they rely for their practices.

It is not the same as Reform/Masorti/Liberal/Conservative, as we do believe in divine origin of Oral Laws. This does not mean we shy away from making innovation within halachic bounds.

As for the comments about people driving etc, our local Open Orthodoxy miniyan has hardly anyone who would drive, unlike the main Orthodox kehila where a sizeable minority do. In my town, our friends who go to Open Orthodoxy miniyan tend to be more actively engaged in learning than the average orthodox shul members.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics