Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Can I keep a george forman on for three days?
Previous  1  2

seeker

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 11:47 pm
Thanks for alerting me, I will have to clarify with my LOR. I thought you could turn it off because you're just cutting the gas supply, not extinguishing the fire.

tichellady

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 12:05 am
seeker wrote:
Thanks for alerting me, I will have to clarify with my LOR. I thought you could turn it off because you're just cutting the gas supply, not extinguishing the fire.
I

This is the opinion of Rav Moshe Feinstein and is what my rabbi told me to do. It's only allowed on yomtov not Shabbos.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 12:23 am
penguin wrote:
Quote:
Light a 3-day candle. Keep it near the stove. Keep the stove off until you need it. When you need to use the stove, bypass the ignition and use the candle to light it (I.e. use the candle to light a match or smaller candle which you use to light the gas stove and then let it go out.) Turn the stove off again when done.
This is what I was going to suggest if you want to cook for lunch on the second day. You can unplug the stove before Yom Tov (if you won't need the oven), this way there's no ignition to bypass.

HOWEVER as I understand it you can only turn a flame lower if needed for the food on it AND you can't turn it off unless there's a pilot. An oven is different. Once it's off (and if it's not electronic) we do turn it off on Yom Tov.

Here's one you may never have tried: TEA LIGHTS! They are slow but if you have enough time you can boil a small pot over about five tea lights placed around the actual burner. I have done it on Yom Tov! The best part is, no worries about stove staying on too long.

I will probably do my crockpot for Shabbo lunch and have it go off with a timer. Possibly to go back on early morning each day and thus I can warm up food for lunches (going out evenings BH so it's someone else's headache!)

Is this safe? I have heard that leaving lit candles on a stove top which is not in use is dangerous.

I also have heard of people who used tealights in a closed oven to trap heat and warm food and heard of horrible explosions that way.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics